cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I activate my trial version of BackupExed?

IT94
Level 2

I had to reinstall my BE 2012 and I have all my licenses but I don't know how to activate the BE Server License.   Trial Version must still be in control because I cannot add my licenses for Agent for Applications and Databases.   How do I activate the Server license and deactivate the Trial license?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You install the license for the DB agent on the media server. You then install the remote agent on the remote server via push install or manual install.

Once done, open up Backup Exec on the media server, browse to the remote server and you will see Exchange or SQL, depending on the application running there.

The Remote Agent facilitates comms between the remote server and the media server and the license allows the media server to see the particular and supported app.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For all remote servers, regardless of what you want to backup from them, there is only one software to install and that is the remote agent referenced in the screenshot of your previous post.  This remote agent contains all the capabilities to backup anything, but these capabilities are only unlocked when you installed the appropriate agent licence on the media server.  For example, you need to backup a SQL Server database on a remote server.  You push out the remote agent to this remote server, install the Agent for Applications and Databases agent licence on the media server and then select the SQL Server Agent option.  You can then backup the SQL Server database.  If later you install Exchange on this remote server and want to backup Exchange, you just install another Agent for Applications and Databases agent licence on the media server and then select the Exchange option.  You can then backup Exchange.  There is no need to push out the remote agent software to the remote server again.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV

You need to load the *.slf file either during installation, or using a licensing wizard. Point the install to the location of the *.slf file and it will license the application.

If you don't have this file, you need to get it from Symantec, or the Symantec licensing portal if you have access to it.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Assuming that you already have your .slf files, click on the BE button then click on Installation and Licencing and Install Licences and Options. Go through the dialogue until it ends to install the licences. Make sure you enable the necessary options during this process

IT94
Level 2

I imported the files and the licenses all show on the License information page but when I try to install the licenses on the remote server they do not show up.  Only the Symantec BackupExec and the Agent for Windows Server agent show up.

I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The content of your license info screen (in your attached document)  seems to show that you have installed your licenses - only the agent for Mac is in trial

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is to be expected. That dialog is to select which software, not licence, to install on the remote server. Licences are only installed on the media server and this unlocks the various capabilities of the physical remote agent which you install using that dialog

IT94
Level 2

Apparantly I mistated my question.    I need to install the Applications and Databases software on my Exchange and SQL server.    What is the proper way to do that?

CraigV

You install the license for the DB agent on the media server. You then install the remote agent on the remote server via push install or manual install.

Once done, open up Backup Exec on the media server, browse to the remote server and you will see Exchange or SQL, depending on the application running there.

The Remote Agent facilitates comms between the remote server and the media server and the license allows the media server to see the particular and supported app.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For all remote servers, regardless of what you want to backup from them, there is only one software to install and that is the remote agent referenced in the screenshot of your previous post.  This remote agent contains all the capabilities to backup anything, but these capabilities are only unlocked when you installed the appropriate agent licence on the media server.  For example, you need to backup a SQL Server database on a remote server.  You push out the remote agent to this remote server, install the Agent for Applications and Databases agent licence on the media server and then select the SQL Server Agent option.  You can then backup the SQL Server database.  If later you install Exchange on this remote server and want to backup Exchange, you just install another Agent for Applications and Databases agent licence on the media server and then select the Exchange option.  You can then backup Exchange.  There is no need to push out the remote agent software to the remote server again.