cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add a .bak file from a now deleted Backup Exec 2010 instance, to another Backup Exec 2010?

ONE01
Level 3

We had a contractor delete one of our VM's. The VM was a physical server in February. This much I know. We have a backup of that server from February, but the Backup Exec that calaloged this backup was on the now deleted server. It is not in any catalog on any Backup Exec 2010 that is sill around.

How do I get another copy of 2010 to import this backup so I can restore it?

I have only been here a very short time, and all the people responsible for his mess are gone. I am very new to Backup Exec 2010 and have some knowledge of the previous version. So please be very step by step specific if you can.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ONE01
Level 3

Symantec webexed in and helped me do this.

Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Not sure how to reuse it with backup exec, but you can try ntbackup.exe from windows 2003.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

How do I get another copy of 2010 to import this backup so I can restore it?

If the license for that media server was not re-used, you can use your existing install media and serial to install on any machine you wish

If you do not have your serial contact licensing to get it again.

What version were you/they running on the old media server?

Matthew_Wharton
Level 3

I would install a trial version on BE 2010, pop the '.bkf' file onto that server in a folder and then add a new 'Backup-To-Disk' folder in 'Devices' that points to the dir that the 'bkf' file is in. Run an inventory/catalogue on that 'Backup-To-Disk' folder and restore it from there...

Would that work?

ONE01
Level 3

I do not know what version it was. As I said, all that were involved when this happed last week, are gone.

I am looking to see what I have available. I do not want to install a trial version on a production server if possible. I have copied over the .bak files to my local PC to do trial and error with. That way the originals are untouched.

ONE01
Level 3

I get the following error trying to do this with windows backup tool:

This set cannot be catlouged because themeida containing the catalog data is missing.

I copied over all of the .bak files. and the config and folder file.  All I can import are the .bak files.

ONE01
Level 3

Can you be more specific on the steps? I am very very new to BE 2010. (Almost all of my server backup experience is on Linux.) I could use some baby steps, especially since this is a live environment.

The backup server has BE 2010 installed. This backup is in a folder on this server. I just need to know how to get it "into" BE 2010.

Thank you!

ONE01
Level 3

Symantec webexed in and helped me do this.

Thanks for the help.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Create a BackupToDisk device where the BKF file is located  (or move the BKF file to a currently existing B2D device)

Inventory the Device

Catalog the BKF file(s) to generate information into your current catalog