Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I backup an external hard drive?

RCB
Level 3
Hi All.
Using Backup Exec 10d.
I have an external hard drive that is accessable from our network that i used to back up, but removed as a test.
It now will not let me re-add this device to my daily backup schedule.

- I am getting an error 'Reminder the backup exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent must be installed on any remote computers running Windows 2000 or greater in order to fully backup or restore some windows features"

- I hit OK past this popup and it prompts me with the "Logon Account selection window"  andwhen i hit OK on my Default System Logon account, i get the error "Logon Account "System Logon Account" failed to access "LS-GL753" access is denied"

- all folders in this networked hard drive are setup as shares.

My problem is this.. The network hard drive is just that.. a hard drive, no operating system to install the Remote Agent on, and it never was installed prior to this.
Also, even though the Default System Logon Account used to work, and it no longer works, there are no logon credentials to access this hard drive as it is inside our internal network.

No network settings/account settings etc have changed.

Is there a setup step i am missing within Backup Exec to allow me to back this device up?

thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

So this is basically a NAS?

You must have a Remote Agent serial installed on the media server even if you cannot install it on the NAS.  You can set up a User Defined share, and connect with an account that has full rights to all shares on the NAS

drew_at_NF
Level 3
Yeah, that was my first question also...is this a NAS or a USB connected external hard drive?  If it is a USB connected hard drive, can you 'see' it in Windows Explorer?  If it is a NAS, can you access the shares in Windows Explorer on the server running BE?

RCB
Level 3
yes, the device is a NAS
My manager figured it out. I will get detailed notes from her on how to do this next time.
thanks for your asssitance.