cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete IMG folders and contents?

JBA479
Level 3

It appears that the creation of an infinite number (up to the point of "drive full") of IMG folders (when using B2D to back up Exchange Server) is a known issue.  Unfortunately, I have learned this only after creating 23 IMG folders of approximately 11 GB each.

I cannot find a method within Backup Exec for deleting these IMG folders and when I attempt a manual deletion using Windows Explorer I get the error message "Error Deleting File or Folder - cannot delete ese.dll: Access is denied."

I must get rid of these blankety-blank things before I run out of disk space.  Based on the number of related posts I'm guessing somebody must've figured out an answer to this problem.  I just can't seem to find it posted here.

Thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
See page 233 of the Admin Guide

JBA479
Level 3
Since I was only "pretty sure" that I had followed this procedure correctly, I went back and repeated it step-by-step and exactly "by the book".  Everything goes according to plan until I attempt to delete the IMG folders.  I still get the error message "Error Deleting File or Folder - cannot delete ese.dll: Access is denied."

JBA479
Level 3
Are there no suggestions from anybody?

JBA479
Level 3
The solution that I found. 
First I tried stopping all Backup Exec related services.  This had no effect.
Since the  ese.dll  files contained in each IMG folder are Exchange Server files, I stopped Exchange Server services and repeated attempts to delete the ese.dll files.  All such attempts failed.
Finally, I restarted the server in Safe Mode.  I was then able to delete the unwanted  IMG folders and the  ese.dll files contained within.
There must be a better way, but I have not found it yet.

rpowell
Level 4
This is how I delete them... don't know whether it's correct or not but it works for me.
I look in the B2D folder in BE under Devices. I note which IMG files are overwriteable, then I move them to Retired Media.(I imagine scratch media would work too) I go under Media/Retired Media and delete them. Once they're gone from BE then I physically delete them using windows explorer  No errors or other problems

JBA479
Level 3
That is the procedure outlined in the Admin Guide (page 233).
All works well until one attempts to use Windows Explorer to delete IMG folders that contain Exchange Server backup.  The backup of Exchange includes the  ese.dll  file in each of the IMG folders.  If you are not including Exchange Server backups with the option to "restore individual items" selected, then you will not encounter the problem with deleting IMG folders that I described in the original and subsequent posts.
Thanks for your input. 

rpowell
Level 4
Yea, you're right we aren't using GRT. BTW, be carefull with Hotfix 14 for GRT and Exchange... if your doing duplicates it will bring them to a crawl!
Good luck!

JBA479
Level 3
Could you please explain what you mean by this?
I am having speed issues with B2D backup to a RD1000 removable SATA drive in a Dell server.
Thanks

rpowell
Level 4
The speed issue with the hot fix 14 is only if you are doing duplicates. It doesn't affect B2D.

JBA479
Level 3
Please pardon my ignorance.   What do you mean by "doing duplicates"?

rpowell
Level 4
No problem, heh, a month or two ago, I had no idea what a duplicate was...I hope I explain it right.
If you are doing a B2D, you can duplicate that job to another device. In our situation, we are doing a B2D to our media server then duplicating that job to LTO 3 tape. So, If the media server crashes or there is some other catastrophe, we can restore directly from tape that is taken off site. Day to day restores can be done from the B2D on the media server.  Also, this allows us to backup to faster B2D in the time window we have then duplicate that backup to tape during normal business hours so we have media to take off site.

JBA479
Level 3
Thanks

Jeff1981
Level 4
In BackupExec, under Devices, i go to the Backup to Disk folder which contains the IMG folders, selct the IMG folders I want to delete, hit the right-mouse-button and select Erase. This removes the folders from my backup drive.

justin_toronto
Not applicable
I have been reading through the blogs on this subject and I don't see a resolution other than reboot into safe mode.
I have a remote server in Montreal (I am in Toronto) and I need to be able to del these IMG folders, I can go in and del all of the contents apart from the ese.dll which means each folder is about 2MB so it isn't a disaster that I cannot del them but it is annoying me that I cannot find a solution to this problem.

Did anyone find a better solution other than booting into safe mode and deleting them??