cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I install the Remote Agent for VMware & Hyper-V?

Backupz
Level 4

I purchased the Capacity Edition of Backup Exec 2015, however, I do not see an option to push-install the Remote Agent for Vmware & Hyper-V to a remote server.

I am currently on my main server when trying to do this, however my remote server is a server which hosts a few VMs.  How do I install the Remote Agent for Vmware & Hyper-V? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The media server is the machine on which the core BE is loaded.  I believe that the newer terminology for this machine is the BE Server.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

How do I install the Remote Agent for Vmware & Hyper-V? 

Remote Agent for VMware and HyperV is just a license which you need to import on the BE 

media server to unlock the capability to back up the VM's hosted by VMware and HyperV servers.

However you need to install Remote Agent for Windows on the VM's to perform GRT backups and 

restores.. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The term "remote agent" is used loosely in BE. It refers both to the physical remote agent that you push out to the remote servers (there is only one physical agent) and the capabilities to backup various things like Hyper-V VM's. There is no physical remote agent for Hyper-V for you to push out. All you need to do is to push out the physical remote agent to the Hyper-V host and the VM's. You then install your capacity licence on the media server. This will unlock the capability to backup Hyper-V VM's in the physical remote agent.

Backupz
Level 4

You then install your capacity licence on the media server.

When you refer to the "media server" does this mean the server I am pushing the install from OR the actual remote server?  

As always, thanks for the help!!!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The media server is the machine on which the core BE is loaded.  I believe that the newer terminology for this machine is the BE Server.

Backupz
Level 4

What if I have BE Server installed (Capacity edition), and then I create a VM on that same physical server?  Do I need to push install the Agent for Windows to the VM?  If so, why or why not?