cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I load BE 12.5 Agents on a Mac?

SteveLi
Level 2
Hi.  I just upgraded from BE 10.5d to 12.5 and we have a couple Leopard servers we'd like to include on the backup rotation.  I see them in the Remote Agent install wizard within BE, but when I tried to push them out it gives me an error - "RPC server not available."  The Agent install docs indicate that I'll need the original media, but this install was done by downloading the zip files from Symantec, and the directories referenced did not seem to exist in the zip files. 

Does anyone have any adivce?  Incidentally, I'm also not able to load the Agent on the backup server itself - the wizard won't permit it.  Any advice there? 

TIA

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Steve,

You won't need to load the agent on the server itself...that's just a license for it.
Take a look at the link below, it might prompt you in the right direction. It's for BEWS 9.1/10, but should apply to 12.5 in the same way.
If not, post here again and it gets taken from there...

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/271591.htm

Laters!

SteveLi
Level 2
Thanks Craig.  I can't find a single tar file anywhere on the BE server's  C drive. 

Also, I get the error that the BE server can't be backed up becaue the remote agent hasn't been installed. 

Thanks for any help!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
That's weird. When you go to Services on your BEWS server, do you see the Remote Agent as started up? It should be run by the Local System Account.
If it is, and is started up, then I would look at maybe repairing that installation. The RA is needed to backup a server, even if it's the local server.
Clear that problem first to at least get your backups going there...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
You need to download the Installtion files for the RALUs and RAMS packages and then locally extract/install the programs on your MAC (Leopard) systems

Note: Snow Leopard is not supported (yet) and you can't do a push install from the media server, this only works when the remote system is also running a Windows based operating system.

You should be able to get the download for 12.5 from:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=51792

Also your Backup Exec (winodws based) media server will need the serial number for the Mac agent installing.

SteveLi
Level 2
Thanks Craig.  Those items were as you specified, so there's some concern about having to repair it I guess.  its an upgrade over 10d to begin with. 

Colin:  The only file from your linky that appeared to have what I needed was BEWS_12.5.2213_LINUX-UNIX-MAC-SAP_AGENTS.tar.gz - and it was 356 megs.  Is that it?  The only other thing is this file which I dug out of the Agents directory on the actual install:  VRTSramsPatchIntel.tar.gz - and this one's 116KB.  Do I have the right one?

Thanks.

Steve

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
BEWS_12.5.2213_LINUX-UNIX-MAC-SAP_AGENTS.tar.gz is the correct download which you need to extract on a volume on the MAC and then run ./installrams to start the setup. Note: I believe there might be a technical problem on our website currently that might affect your ability to download this file

VRTSramsPatchIntel.tar.gz appears to be part of this hotfix http://support.veritas.com/docs/314380 which you will need to apply after installation using the notes in the link.