cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I reclaim Remote Agent licenses so they can be used by other servers?

holbrookp
Level 2

Greetings everyone,

We currently run Backup Exec 2010 R2, and need to install the Remote Agent for Windows Servers on about 30 servers. As I was trying to do this, I discovered we didn't have enough licenses, so I ran the License Assessment Tool and found out we had a site license. I didn't get much information from that, so I called Symantec's Licensing department and found out how many licenses we have for remote agents. Now, it appears as if we have several old servers licensed that no longer exist. How do I reclaim these licenses so they can be used by other servers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Simply install remote agent on 2 new server and start taking backups.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB

License keys are not linked to any particular server, you just need to install the license keys on the 

media server and install remote agent on the remote server. So if you have a site license key which 

supports 30 server then make sure you install remote agents on 30 remote server only.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

License key are not bound to a specific server but they are bound to the number of servers you backup i.e if you have 2 remote agent license you can only backup 2 remote server and if you attempt to backup the 3rd one you would get a failure with license violation error .

holbrookp
Level 2

Right, I understand that, but let's say I've got a license for five servers. One year ago, I was using this to back up five servers, but one month ago, I decomissioned and retired two of these servers. I'm now only backing up three servers. How do I start backing up two new servers, since the old two are gone for good?

AmolB

Simply install remote agent on 2 new server and start taking backups.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You would need to remove the old server from the exisiting backup selection i.e in the backup selection go to selection detail and remove the entries for the decomissioned server. on the new server just install remote agent and create backup selections for the same