cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I see which folders and files are on the 2nd tape of a 2-tape backup

Chris28
Level 3

Working with an old set of tapes originally done via BE 9.1.  We have been able to inventory and catalog. A certain 300gb restore spans two tapes and takes a VERY long time on my somewhat old and slow computer. The restore was about 2/3 through and went to the second tape and during the 2nd tape.  (Manually loaded on request--single drive; no library.)

After a couple of cleanings, I'm hoping the rest of the data can be gotten recovering from the 2nd tape only.

But the interface doesn't show where the tape1/tape2 boundary is in the folfer/file list.  Is there a way that I can find that out?  Need an answer as soon as possible. Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you clean out the catalog information and then disable the "Request all media in sequence for catalog operations" setting and then only catalog the second tape you might see only that data on that tape. The disadvantage of this is you would lose the info you have already got against the 1st tape so as a suggestion it probably does not help you much.

NOTE: In the later versions of of BE you have to be careful as the setting stops BE from requiring an earlier tape in the sequence but appears to still ask for any tapes that are later in the sequence. I have no idea if this problem also affects the old version you are running as it was only noticed recently and we are as such only investigating against current versions. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver

If you clean out the catalog information and then disable the "Request all media in sequence for catalog operations" setting and then only catalog the second tape you might see only that data on that tape. The disadvantage of this is you would lose the info you have already got against the 1st tape so as a suggestion it probably does not help you much.

NOTE: In the later versions of of BE you have to be careful as the setting stops BE from requiring an earlier tape in the sequence but appears to still ask for any tapes that are later in the sequence. I have no idea if this problem also affects the old version you are running as it was only noticed recently and we are as such only investigating against current versions. 

Thanks very much Colin.  Since we've apparently already recovered the first tape's data (more than a million small files--ouchy slow), perhaps it won't hurt to delete the tape1/tape2 catalog. Will give that a shot. 

Hi again. My BE 10.0 doesn't seem to have ""Request all media in sequence for catalog operations" setting ". Only thing I see that's related is the "Use storage media-based catalogs" check box under Tools\Options\Catalog.  If that's off, the admin guide suggests the catalog will take much longer since it will check every file. But it doesn't address whether Catalog will request mouning of tape 1.  Hmmmmm.

Unchecked that box. then tried catalog with tape 2 in the drive. It does indeed ask for tape 1 after a quick look at tape 2.  

Not sure if I made clear: did indeed delete the catalog for those 2 tapes before trying  to catalof tape 2 only.

Colin_Weaver

Hmm OK the request all media sequence might therefor be a function of such newer versions of Backup Exec - I was not aware that it is not an option in 9.1 and 10.x but they are very old and have not been supported for some time. Short of going to one of the much newer versions I doubt there is much you can do but supply all the tapes in order.