cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you know if a device supports client side de-duplication?

robnicholson
Level 6

See the following part of job set-up:

http://www.picpaste.com/Client_side-r5pL2WgX.png

How do you ascertain if a device is capable of client side de-duplication?

The remote agent is question is a standard Windows Server remote agent on a Windows 2003 Server.

Thanks, Rob.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

@robnicholson -

When client side is NOT enabled, there will be an exception (warning) stating the client-side was enabled, but could not be used.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You may perform Client side dedup for any windows server which has remote agent installed.

Only 1 server can be included in a selection list when client side dedup is enabled.

Also you need to add the remote server in the device tab before performing client side dedup.

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23346

robnicholson
Level 6

Hi Amol,

Okay, I didn't write that very well. How do you check if a job has successfuly used client side de-duplication? All of the above are satisfied but just want to double-check. Somewhere in the log it says "Used client side de-duplication".

Cheers, Rob.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

robnicholson
Level 6

Actually, I think prior to R3, BE gave a warning/incomplete status if you tried to use client side de-duplication and something hadn't been set-up. So I assume because I'm not seeing that, it's succesfully using client side de-dupe.

Cheers, Rob.

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

@robnicholson -

When client side is NOT enabled, there will be an exception (warning) stating the client-side was enabled, but could not be used.

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

@robnicholson -

that is true for R3 as well.

robnicholson
Level 6

Thanks for clarifying that message/warning will still be present if client side cannot be used.

Cheers, Rob.

robnicholson
Level 6

Only 1 server can be included in a selection list when client side dedup is enabled.

One for the wish list to resolve this limitation. It ends up making the list of jobs rather long especially with de-dupe where you separate out backup and verify. Whereas we used to have just two jobs that said "System Friday full" and "System Daily diff", we've now got four jobs per server (full & diff, backup & verify) so for five servers, that's 20 jobs.

Cheers, Rob.