cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you move backup sets to new disk storage device (B2D)?

randy915
Level 4

I'm running Backup Exec 2012 SP3 and would like to move a 6TB Exchange backup sets from volume to a new volume.  I've created a new iSCSI LUN, mapped a new drive letter, and then created a new disk storage device.  Do I simply move all the files over to the new drive and do an inventory & catalog?

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

It is best to create the backup to disk folder on the new drive and then run duplicate backup jobs to duplicate the backup sets to the new location.  Doing it this way will avoid creating orphaned catalog entries. 

see this document for more information  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176061

pkh
   VIP    Certified

After you have duplicated the backup sets over to the new disk storage, you need to modify your jobs to point to this new storage.

For the backup sets on the old disk storage, you can either let DLM groom them after they expire or delete them from the BE console which will also physically delete them from the disk storage.  Do not use Windows Explorer and delete them as this will leave orphaned entries in the BE console.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You might need ot make the news storage use the drive letter of the old storage (at an operating system level)  just because Incremental GRT sets can be linked together by paths that include drive letters and you may therefore have problems if you do not put back the original drive letter.

randy915
Level 4

Thanks everyone for the tips, the duplication job is about half done right now and will proceed as instructed.

@Colin - to change the path of a disk storage device do I simply change the drive letter of the old volume to something else, then assign the drive letter I originally wanted to new volume followed by an inventory/catalog?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

yes - although you may only need to do an inventory after correcting the drive letter