Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you think about this sentence ??

Stray_wolf
Level 2

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO98836

How do you think about this sentence ??
> Do not use software compression or encryption for GRT-enabled backup jobs. The compression and encryption processes are resource-intensive. Enabling either software compression or encryption can result in degraded performance for GRT-enabled backup jobs.

Vendor insisted 
Software compression  affects the GRT performance. ( I know it , I'm using hardware compression)
Encryption affects the GRT performance  even if hardware encryption . ( : - ,,,
This answer is very strange for me.
His answer meant  "Hardware compression dose not affects the GRT performance but hardware encryption affects  the GRT performance"

> Do not use software compression or encryption for GRT-enabled backup jobs.
I think exact sentence is "Do not use software compression or software encryption for GRT-enabled backup jobs"

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This sentence is perfectly fine. It asks you to avoid software compression and encryption. There is nothing said about hardware compression or encryption, so they are fine.

View solution in original post

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

The sentence can be interpreted two ways if you do not understand the context. It could be understood as meaning "Do not use software compression or encryption of any type hardware or software" or it could mean "Do not use software compression or software encryption but hardware encryption and compression is OK"

You need to understand the context of that statement to get it's meaning and then you need to look at the environment as a whole to see the extent of the impact of the sentence. Remember Symantec is a software company (appliances not withstanding) so they focus on software and its affects.

You can turn on compression and encryption in your policies and when you do you greatly affect the performance of the client. In some cases up to a 25% performance hit during the backup. This is the type of thing that Symantec was warning about since GRT is a software function. So you are safe to assume that the sentence refers to software compression and software encryption.

That being said the paragraph is referring to the performance of the job and if you do not have enough processor and memory in the client performance will degrade drastically on the whole client. However, if you throw in hardware compression and hardware encryption you will degrade throughput but not noticeably.

Disk compression such as in  NTFS volume can affect read speeds. Even frame side compression can affect read speeds but you may not notice it. Encryption at the target like an LTO 4 or 5 drive takes a write performance hit on throughput but again not as noticeable.

If you are worried about throughput for your GRT backups turn off NetBackup compression and encryption so as to not affect client performance, backup to disk, copy to tape, and then expire the image on disk. Always faster disk to disk and if you need tape the backup job does not notice the tape copy.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This sentence is perfectly fine. It asks you to avoid software compression and encryption. There is nothing said about hardware compression or encryption, so they are fine.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

The sentence can be interpreted two ways if you do not understand the context. It could be understood as meaning "Do not use software compression or encryption of any type hardware or software" or it could mean "Do not use software compression or software encryption but hardware encryption and compression is OK"

You need to understand the context of that statement to get it's meaning and then you need to look at the environment as a whole to see the extent of the impact of the sentence. Remember Symantec is a software company (appliances not withstanding) so they focus on software and its affects.

You can turn on compression and encryption in your policies and when you do you greatly affect the performance of the client. In some cases up to a 25% performance hit during the backup. This is the type of thing that Symantec was warning about since GRT is a software function. So you are safe to assume that the sentence refers to software compression and software encryption.

That being said the paragraph is referring to the performance of the job and if you do not have enough processor and memory in the client performance will degrade drastically on the whole client. However, if you throw in hardware compression and hardware encryption you will degrade throughput but not noticeably.

Disk compression such as in  NTFS volume can affect read speeds. Even frame side compression can affect read speeds but you may not notice it. Encryption at the target like an LTO 4 or 5 drive takes a write performance hit on throughput but again not as noticeable.

If you are worried about throughput for your GRT backups turn off NetBackup compression and encryption so as to not affect client performance, backup to disk, copy to tape, and then expire the image on disk. Always faster disk to disk and if you need tape the backup job does not notice the tape copy.

Stray_wolf
Level 2

Dear Andrew.

I'm using LTO4 that has hardware  encryption and hardware compression.

Let me explain why I made this question.
I have another issue with BackupExec.
Vendor insisted root-cause  of my trouble is hardware encryption.
He explained it with this article.  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO98836
I could not agree his thought . Hardware encryption does not affects total performance.
I answered him like that "That is wrong sentence or miss interpretation of you"
But he did  not agreed my thought and suggestion.  He said "I confirmed it , Please disable hardware encryption"
I disabled hardware encryption , but results were same.

I'm losing time now.. with these kinds of communication.

English is my 2nd language. therefor I want to confirm US Symantech directory.