cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Backup Exec choose which tape in a robotic library to write to?

Nael
Level 3

How does Backup Exec choose which tape in a robotic library to write to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

That's not necessarily an issue...for further reference check pkh's article below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

Hi,

It would look for media that is overwritable/appendable in the media set assigned to the running job, and failing that it would look for Scratch media.

Thanks!

EDIT: This is how it would work with an unpartitioned autoloader/library. Should you have partitions, you need to ensure your tapes are available to be appended too or overwritten. If not, the job would either fail or queue.

Nael
Level 3

But it doesn't do that , every time it chooses a different one than the defined one on the media set .

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Depends on 3 things...

- whats set under tools - options - media management

- whats set under the backup job properties

- lastly upon the media set & the tapes present...

and again, it multiple media (tapes) meet a certain requirement, then any random media would be used for the backup...

CraigV

...if your tapes in your media set aren't overwritable or appendable, or aren't present in the autoloader/library/tape drive then BE will pick another tape that is if it is in the Scratch set.

Nael
Level 3

my ststus is that all tapes is overwritable and configured with media sets , 5 of them in media set called daily to tape , and one in a weekly to tape media set, however i might choose the weekly configured tape to write on in a week day .

CraigV

That's not necessarily an issue...for further reference check pkh's article below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

Nael
Level 3

Thanks , I got it .