cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Backup Exec determine what to delete when there are 2 jobs going to the same Backup-To-Disk folder?

buck614
Level 4

How does Backup Exec determine what to delete when there are 2 jobs going to the same Backup-To-Disk folder?

Let's say I have a backup to disk folder called C:\backup. I have two 2 jobs (Or more for that matter) that use that backup to disk folder as a selected device.

Now, let's say the backup to disk device hits the low threshhold. How does Backup Exec determine what to delete/overwrite?

My concern is this. Lets say that the folder holds bkf files for job A and job B. Job B is currently running and the device hits the low disk threshold. It will of course need to delete/overwrite bkf files in that folder that no longer have overwrite protection.

Will it only delete job B files? If job B is running I don't want it to delete job A files even if they are the oldest.

This has been a concern for me because I am about to implement a NAS for backups that is one logical Raided drive that is 10TB in size. I can only have one device per logical drive. So if I put all of my bkf files in there I want to make sure that Job B doesn't delete files for job a, c, d, e, etc.

I hope that makes sense. I have been using Backup Exec forever so I am not a novice but I really need some help with this issue.

I am currently using Backup Exec 2010 but I am evaluating Backup Exec 2014. If they act differently that info would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Firstly, the low threshold has little to do with when a delete occurs (most scenarios should delete data well before this and we have no way to only delete data once the threshold is reached)

Deletes of BKF files occur when BE 2010 starts looking for overwtiteable media  which will either be at the start of the job or when a bkf file reaches max size and needs a new bkf

Jobs will delete oldest overwriteable file first whether that be from job a or job b - although if if job a and job b using different media sets and depending on other settings in BE (overwrite recyclable before scratch and vice versa) you can exert some control to choose oldest media in targetted media set that is overwrittable followed by choose oldest in any other media set (this order is discussed in the media management chapter in the admin guide.)

It all changes in BE 2012 and 2014:

BE 2012 and BE 2014 deletion of disk based data depends on the expiry date and the operation of a background task - deletion of disk backup sets is no longer linked with a running job  and the behaviour is therefore compeletly different. Do some searches for "BackuP Exec" and "DLM" to find out more.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Firstly, the low threshold has little to do with when a delete occurs (most scenarios should delete data well before this and we have no way to only delete data once the threshold is reached)

Deletes of BKF files occur when BE 2010 starts looking for overwtiteable media  which will either be at the start of the job or when a bkf file reaches max size and needs a new bkf

Jobs will delete oldest overwriteable file first whether that be from job a or job b - although if if job a and job b using different media sets and depending on other settings in BE (overwrite recyclable before scratch and vice versa) you can exert some control to choose oldest media in targetted media set that is overwrittable followed by choose oldest in any other media set (this order is discussed in the media management chapter in the admin guide.)

It all changes in BE 2012 and 2014:

BE 2012 and BE 2014 deletion of disk based data depends on the expiry date and the operation of a background task - deletion of disk backup sets is no longer linked with a running job  and the behaviour is therefore compeletly different. Do some searches for "BackuP Exec" and "DLM" to find out more.