cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many Licenses do I need?

DmitryKo
Level 3

Hello,

this is my first topic here, so, please, do not blame me, if something is wrong.
We are preparing to upgrade our backup environment from 2010 R3 to new version 15 or 14. I went throuth the License Guide of 15 and didn't find exact answer of how many License I need for our environment. Can you help me?
We need to backup 4 Windows servers and there is SQL instacne on two of them. Full backup around 4 TB and there is tape library with one tape drive.
From my modest calculation, we need one Backup Exec Server, 4 Agents for Windows and 2 Agents for Applications and Databases. Am I right?

I confused, because as far as I remember in previous versions Backup Exec Server license included 2 or something like this windows agents. What about 15 and 14 versions?

Also a question, if I want backup some SQL DBs and also windows SystemState on the same server, does that mean that for this server I need both, usual windows agent and App.agent as well?
Asking this because of this statement in the License Guide (No additional purchase of Agent for Windows is necessary if the application or database is installed on a Windows server.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You need 2 Agent for Windows and 2 Agent for Applications and Databases licences. The latter licence includes the Agent for Windows. To backup the system state, you just need an Agent for Windows licence. However, if the system state includes AD, then read my article below on what you need. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-ad-and-what-licences-do-i-need

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

we need one Backup Exec Server, 4 Agents for Windows and 2 Agents for Applications and Databases. Am I right?

Yes

if I want backup some SQL DBs and also windows SystemState on the same server, does that mean that for this server I need both, usual windows agent and App.agent as well?

No

Lastly, in addition to the ala carte licensing models, there are new licensing models such as a the Capacity Edition which may be more suitable.

DmitryKo
Level 3

Thnak you for your reply, so much.

But could you clarify a bit your second "No", please? So, what do I need for the SQL server where I want to backup some SQL DBs and SystemState as well?

I will look throuth the Capacity License Edition.

VJware
Level 6

You just need one license for the SQL server to backup DBs & System State. You would need the Agent for Application & Database license. This also includes the Agent for Windows.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You need 2 Agent for Windows and 2 Agent for Applications and Databases licences. The latter licence includes the Agent for Windows. To backup the system state, you just need an Agent for Windows licence. However, if the system state includes AD, then read my article below on what you need. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-ad-and-what-licences-do-i-need

DmitryKo
Level 3

Thank you all for your answers.

DmitryKo
Level 3

Also a question, our Backup server is also a file server, where I need to backup some data folders and SystemState. Should we buy extra Agent for Windows for it or Backup server can backup SystemState of itself?

VJware
Level 6

Backup Exec can backup & restore its own system state without any additional license. However, if the Backup Exec server is also a DC and if you ever need to restore individual items (GRT), then an Agent for Application and Database license is needed, else not.

DmitryKo
Level 3

One more question concerning the Licenses, which have just appeared.

At this moment we do have HP tape library with one drive. Customer wants to add extra library to extand backup data - IBM (35732UL) TS3100 Ultrum Driveless Tape Library

Do I need extra License for it? As far as I understoo, I need "Library Expansion Option" But how much?

One for each drive in this new Library?

VJware
Level 6

You don't need any additional licenses if

1) Unlimited number of stand-alone drives

2) First drive of any number of robotic libraries.

If you plan to use additional drive of a library,  then the LEO license is required.

For egs.

Robotic Library A - Tape Drive 1

Robotic Library B - Tape Drive 2, Tape Drive 3

Using Tape drive 1 & 2 requires no license. If using Tape drive 3 as well, then you would need 1 LEO license.