cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Automatically Reclaim Disk Space when Backing Up to Disk

Margo_Blasko
Level 4
I have 10 folders created to coincide with a 2 week rotational backup (five folders for Mon-Fri Wk1 and five folders for Mon-Fri Wk2).

Unfortunately I do not have enough disk space to retain more than one week (5 days) of b2d and img files.

If I am currently backing up to Week 1 (five folders - Mon-Fri), how can I automatically delete the b2d and img files from the five Week 2 folders?

Or does this always have to be done manually?

Thanks,

Margo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 If you want a 2 week rotation then unless you duplicate the B2D data to tape it would be normal to expect to keep the data for 2 weeks on disk.

If you only need to keep the data for 1 week - then the way to automatically clean up the disk space is to have only 1 week of folders and make sure the overwrite protection period on your sets lets you overwrite each week.

In simple terms you can only overwrite B2D files if they are in the same folder as the backup job doing the overwrite and the only option to delete files in a different folder is the manual option

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Set the OPP for the media set(s) to 5 days, and let BackupExec re-use the space, rather than trying to delete the old data

Margo_Blasko
Level 4
I have the OPP set to 3 days on the media set.

The issue is that I'm running out of disk space using the 10 folders.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are your jobs all OVERWRITE, or are they APPEND?

if they are append, then all the BKF files and IMG folders share an OPP date, which is reset when the latest APPEND job finishes

For Disk based backups, making all jobs OVERWRITE is much simpler than mixing OVERWRITE and APPEND 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 If you want a 2 week rotation then unless you duplicate the B2D data to tape it would be normal to expect to keep the data for 2 weeks on disk.

If you only need to keep the data for 1 week - then the way to automatically clean up the disk space is to have only 1 week of folders and make sure the overwrite protection period on your sets lets you overwrite each week.

In simple terms you can only overwrite B2D files if they are in the same folder as the backup job doing the overwrite and the only option to delete files in a different folder is the manual option

Margo_Blasko
Level 4
Thanks Colin for helping me get my head around this issue.

Margo