cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to - Backing up Hyper-V and VMware environments

Turls
Level 6

Are you are looking to find information on the most common tasks related to backing up Hyper-V  and VMware environments using Symantec Backup Exec 2012? Here are the two consolidated articles - Hyper-V and VMware that lists out:

- Top Knowledge Base articles
- Top Videos
- Top Getting Started Articles
- Top Troubleshooting Articles
- Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Administrator's Guide

Check them out!

12 REPLIES 12

roysbrew
Level 3

I have been able to do complete backups and restores of my hyper-v vms with Backup Exec 2012.  I can restor whole vms and vhds, but I cannot find where to restor a file or folder from within my vm backups?  What am I missing?  I have the grt on. 

hartsell
Level 3

I beleieve you need the agent installed on the VM?

darylliney70
Not applicable

Help!!!

I am new to Backup Exec as a result having problems backing up and ESXi environment.

Basically I am starting a job and have a problem with credentials (see below), I can access the actual ESXi server, however when I try to access the host using the expected credentials it fails.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Daryl 

ForemanNZ
Level 4

Wheres the tick box for VMware backups for skipping errors - I can't trust it at present, because it takes 12 hours to do a backup and has failed part way through in the past.

Drew_Meyer
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Support_team
Level 4

I read in the best practises for VMs article that you should create 2 jobs one with GRT and one without for SQL Dbases, Linux etc.

If I am backing up at Vcentre level, and new VMs are added automatically, how do I ensure they are added to the correct job?

Thanks

Loz

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi Swathi,

I guess you may provide more links of the same topic. I have added one.

-Top Knowledge Base articles
- Top Videos
- Top Getting Started Articles
- Top Troubleshooting Articles -
- Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Administrator's Guide - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179977

Thanks.

Jose_Vega_Coto
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello 

all the VMs use the root account to be accessed? root used to be used to access the ESX host and not the rest of VMs, for the VMs use the credentials assigned to the operating system as administrator, also you can specify the credentials used to certaing services suchs as Exchange, SQL, and so on.

For GRT enabled backups, you must specify the source credential account with admin rights. Exchange Admin, SQL Admin whatever you use.

please check at the admin guide, the VMware and Hyper-V agent sections specify what credentials must be used and the sections for applications specify what other credentials are needed for each GRT enabled backup.

Nitin_P
Level 4
Employee Accredited

The agent needs to be installed only when an application GRT needs to be performed. For example Exchange , SQL , Sharepoint resources. For a normal file level backup , there os no need for remote agent to be installed on the guest operating system. 

Ahmed_Nmichi_Ha
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Please take a look at this TN:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74443

Nabil_polska
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Ahmed_Nmichi_Ha
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Thank you  for sharing