cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Restore 2010 R3 Media Server?

abelej
Level 3

I'm going to be refreshing the server that is currently running our Backup Exec 2010 R3 media server.  So basically, re-installing the O.S. on current media server and then re-installing R3.  I've seen comments on this forum that mention copying DATA and CATALOG folders to be able to recover jobs, policies, etc. but is this all I need to backup?  Is there a Symantec procedure for this somewhere...I haven't been able to find it.

Can I use the existing tape drive to backup the required files and then restore back to itself?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Yes if you backup the data and catalog folder you will have ability too restore the configuration like jobs and other settings and restoring the catalogs will help in saving time as else you would have too inventory and catalog all tapes.

Only last thing when you backup the data folder it will be backup all the file in that apart from mdf and ldf file but would backup the important file called bedb.bak which is updated after every maintanence for BE done @4am....so please check below link how to restore using bedb.bak file

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65053

Hope that helps

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Yes if you backup the data and catalog folder you will have ability too restore the configuration like jobs and other settings and restoring the catalogs will help in saving time as else you would have too inventory and catalog all tapes.

Only last thing when you backup the data folder it will be backup all the file in that apart from mdf and ldf file but would backup the important file called bedb.bak which is updated after every maintanence for BE done @4am....so please check below link how to restore using bedb.bak file

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65053

Hope that helps

Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This Blog writtn by Amol also might help: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-protect-backup-exec-itself

abelej
Level 3

Thanks for the quick responses!

Also, a question on the restore items below from Amol's article.  Why run an inventory and catalog job before restoring?  Does this create the data and catalog folders or does it create some sort of config file?  Should I just run one inventory and one catalog job to accomplish this?  I don't want to have to inventory and catalog the entire library...that would seem to defeat the purpose of the restore.

-Restore Data and Catalogs folder from the backups.(run inventory and catalog job before restoring) 
-Replace existing Data and Catalogs folder with the Data & Catalogs folder from backups.

Thank you.

Andy

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Catalog for a tape is only required when you don't see the backup information in restore wizard so as mention by me earlier if you replace the entire catalog folder when you reinstall backup exec that should save your time as you will not have to catalog the tape in that case.

And for data folder you need to perform the beutility task to reload from backup.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Restore Data and Catalogs folder from the backups.(run inventory and catalog job before restoring) 

What Amol meant was, if you have backedup DATA and CATALOGS folders to tape using BE, then you would need to inventory and catalog the particular media containing those so that BE can recognise the media and the data present on that and it can be restored thereafter.

If you manually copy them to a different location on disk, then no need of inventory/catalog.

abelej
Level 3

Sameer and Kiran,

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't misunderstanding something about these folders and purpose for backing them up.  Makes sense.

Thank you for the clarification!