cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Restore backup files in Case that Backup Exec Server broken

ssokneang
Level 3

Dear Forum Users,

I am starting using symantec backup exec in company now, I have some doubt with symantec backup exec server, If in Case that Backup exec server fail or broken, but i still have Backup Data on Tape and Hard disk.

- What should I do to recover those file back? 

- Can i use new Backup Exec server to restore that files or i need to do something else. 

Your sharing and experience is greate for me and i need to answer to my CIO too. 

Welcome all feedback and looking to hear from you. Thank in Advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

To do so manually, you'd do the following:

1. Install Backup Exec on the media server. Same version as the crashed server, and patch it via LiveUpdate.

2. Put the tape with the last backup in and then run an Inventory and then Catalog on it.

3. Restore the Data & Catalogs folders to a different location.

4. Stop all the BE services, and rename the current Data & Catalogs folders to something like Data.old & Catalog.old.

5. Copy the restored Data/Catalogs folders to the installed directory and then restart the BE services.

As long as you haven't changed the server's name, you're good to go. If you don't have the Data & Catalogs folders on a backup medium, you'd have to run a Catalog job on every single tape you have, and then recreate the jobs etc.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
First, you need to recover the media server, either using SDR or manually. Once the media server is up, you can record the rest of the servers

ssokneang
Level 3

Dear PKH, 

Could you share link how to do SDR? or what is manual process to do it. 

Can we restore media server to New server that have new Operating System? After completed, will it able to read all backup data and able to restore database. 

Regards,

Sokneang

pkh
   VIP    Certified
SDR and the manual recovery process are covered in the Admin Guide. If you reinstall BE, you can reinstall it to another OS as long s it is supported. You can then restore the necessary files to recover the previous configuration

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

To do so manually, you'd do the following:

1. Install Backup Exec on the media server. Same version as the crashed server, and patch it via LiveUpdate.

2. Put the tape with the last backup in and then run an Inventory and then Catalog on it.

3. Restore the Data & Catalogs folders to a different location.

4. Stop all the BE services, and rename the current Data & Catalogs folders to something like Data.old & Catalog.old.

5. Copy the restored Data/Catalogs folders to the installed directory and then restart the BE services.

As long as you haven't changed the server's name, you're good to go. If you don't have the Data & Catalogs folders on a backup medium, you'd have to run a Catalog job on every single tape you have, and then recreate the jobs etc.

Thanks!

ssokneang
Level 3

Thanks you a log, Now i try to Test it. I will let you know my result as well. thanks.