cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to See What Tape a Backup Set is On

jviehe
Level 1

For example, Ive duplicated a backup set to a tape. In the Backup and Restore view, open a server, open backup sets, find a specific backup set. It says 'tape cartridge' but not which tape its on. No info in properties either. 

I can see what tape it wrote to in the job log of course, but those get erased. I can open tapes and see what backup sets are on them, but we have a lot of tapes.

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

There might be a report available, but if not you'd have to do this the long way and refer to the job log.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you turn on ShowHiddenMedia (and restart the BE console if it was running when you make the registry change) I believe you can see it - just be aware that this reg key does expose some confusing elements in the console (especially if you also backup to disk or deduplication devices) that relate to background operations within the BEDB and would normally be hidden to avoid the confusion.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000016049

Also if you take the catalog file name from the properties of the backup set, you can use a text viewer/editor to look at the content of that file in the catalogs folder and should find the tape labels are somewhere in the XML. DO NOT save any changes to this file just look inside it for info.