cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to assign media to a slot?

CabarrusHealth
Level 3

I have a backup appliance that emulates a tape drive and i deleted two tapes from its inventory and moved the two media's to scratch media but i want to erase them. I see no way to do this as i can just Catalog, Restore, Associate with Media Set, Move to Vault, Rename, Properties on the Media. I assume I need to put the media in the tape drive slot and then erase them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Dev_T
Level 6

Right click on the tape in the "scratch media" set and click on erase.

CabarrusHealth
Level 3

thanks for the quick reply. I attached a screenshot but i dont show erase as an option.

thanks

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You are going to the Media tab and tape can't be erased in the Meida Tab, these options comes when you right click a media in the media set.

If you want to erase a tape go to the devices tab and if you have the library go to slots and right click on the tape and you will get the erase option.If you have the standalone just right click on there itself and you will get the erase option.

CabarrusHealth
Level 3

Our backup appliance is full so i loaded the web interface and deleted the two tapes that were full and no longer needed assuming it would free up space. It did not so then i assume the tapes/data was still on the appliance and i can use the gui of backup exec to erase them.

Im going to call up the manufacturer and see what they say and ill update this post, unless there are any other ideas.

thanks again..

CabarrusHealth
Level 3

I moved the media to "retired media" and had option to delete from there.

thanks for help

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

OK if you move teh medi to retired teh the refence to teh media inside of Backup Exec can then be deleted, however if tyou have not additionally doen somethign on the appliance to get rid of the media, then the next time you inventory the appliance it may come back.

Also delete the reference to the media inside Backup Exec does not regain the space on the appliance itself, again activity in the management software for the appliance will be needed.