cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid long time process of offsite deduplication replication verify job

Kenneth_Lam
Level 4

I have setup CAS in site A and MMS in site B and both with enterprise option and deduplication option licensed. I find that when I make a duplication job to duplicate backup set from MMS to CAS, the job run fast on replication section. But, the verify section need process many many time......... That mean if my backup target server have 2TB storage. There may just transfer 1GB - 2GB data to CAS on replication section, but CAS need to verify all 2TB data from MMS on verify section even if I use any verify option listed on below photo.Untitled.png

Temporary, I will bypass the verify process on all offsite replication job. But, would anyone can share your experience to me that what is your choice on this part? Or, does anyone know that how to solve this problem? Thank you.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

oh ok. yes, if the jobs are created on MBES then this may be the case.

Mostly in a CAS and MBES setups, the jobs are created on CAS. The Job can then go to device on MBES and duplicate to CAS device (which is shared with MBES). Then run the verify as a seperate job.

Refer attached word file.

View solution in original post

Gurvinder

yes, this would work as well. backup to cas dedupe on CAS, duplicate to MBES dedupe on CAS and verify runs locally on MBES dedupe. just choose CAS server for the primary backup.

Gurvinder

under verify for duplicate job settings -> choose verify as a seperate job. Make sure the job is created on the CAS

10 REPLIES 10

Gurvinder

because the job is created on MBES, the verify tries to run on MBES but it is accessing the storage of CAS. During backup it is fine as due to the opt dupe way of duplicate only changed blocks go to the CAS dedupe but during verify , the MBES is reading the entire unoptimized set from CAS dedupe.

To get around this - run verify as a seperate job (second radio button) -> this way, the verify runs locally on CAS (in this case) and will not affect bandwidth but it will read the entire set.

Thank for your reply Gurv. But I don't understand that even if I use "as a seperate job", the verify process is still run on MMS side as the job is defined on MMS. As on my previous testing using this option, many traffic is still generated from CAS to MMS (Monitor on OS "Task Manager - Performance").

Gurvinder

oh ok. yes, if the jobs are created on MBES then this may be the case.

Mostly in a CAS and MBES setups, the jobs are created on CAS. The Job can then go to device on MBES and duplicate to CAS device (which is shared with MBES). Then run the verify as a seperate job.

Refer attached word file.

Do I need to select this option on the photo?Untitled.png

Gurvinder

no

Thank you. I am testing this today. 

In addition, does you see if it is possible to process this inversion? These mean I make backup on CAS and then duplicate to MMS. Then, verify on MMS side only?

Gurvinder

yes, this would work as well. backup to cas dedupe on CAS, duplicate to MBES dedupe on CAS and verify runs locally on MBES dedupe. just choose CAS server for the primary backup.

Hi Gurv,

Do you mean that the job also need to create as CAS if I want to duplicate the backup from CAS to MMS and run verify job on MMS locally? 

As you mention that the duplicate job is created on CAS, then how to set the verify job on MMS?

Gurvinder

under verify for duplicate job settings -> choose verify as a seperate job. Make sure the job is created on the CAS

It work. Thank you.