cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup CPS data

Rob_Walker_2
Level 4
From what I've read on here am i correct with the following assumptions.

I cannot reliably backup my CPS data during working hours (i.e. when the CPS job is running). I need to stop the job and then run a to tape backup.

Also, if I schedule CPS to stop whilst I back it up, will it have to do a full re-sync of the data when it starts again? If so then it's totally useless as with the amount of data I'm protecting it will take something in the region of 8 hours to complete this.

I can see the value in CPS for allowing quick restores and for restoring previous versions of files, but for anything else it seems totally useless.
4 REPLIES 4

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Hi Rob,

Assuming CPS has completed the synchronization, and is only performing the monitoring for changes at the time the CPS is stoped to do the backup, the re-synch should go fairly quickly. While it will be CPU intensive on the CPS side, it is basically just running through the files already protected, and comparing with the source for changes. If it doesn't find a change, it moves on to the next file, etc, and only backs up files that it finds changed since CPS was stopped. It should take nowhere near the 8 hours that the full job would run.

Regards,
Greg

Rob_Walker_2
Level 4
Thanks for your reply. I will try this.

David_Parkin
Level 3
Rob

Be careful. We do this to get a tape backup and the resync can take a long time depending on your setup. We have one server that can take up to 8 hours for its resync after stopping its job.

Rob_Walker_2
Level 4
Thanks for the info - that's what I've seen too. Hmm, I'm not sure what to think about CPS now. I mean, if you can't back it up to tape easily what's the point? We want to use it so that we can back up documents and files during the day. If we have to stop CPS to do this, and it takes 8 hours to start up again, there is little point.