cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup DFS shares.

apomazkin
Level 5

I can choose three resources to backup DFS shares.

1. Shadow Copy Components.
2. The folder of file system on NTFS volume: C:\Shares, for example.
3. Shared folder resource(after "Enable selection of user shares").

1 method: work well. but i have same troubles with access to dfs share by group policy(drive maps) and i want to try different methods.
2 method: backup does well, but it has size 1-2kb. 
3 method: i get error: 

Final error: 0xe0009413 - An error occurred during the snapshot cleanup, or could not locate a snapped volume from which to back up.

Use this : i can't find "Advanced Open File Option Wizard".

How can I use 2or 3 method successfully?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The error msg seems to be an in issue currently under investigation - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH222376

As a test, choose Hardware VSS provider explicitly under the Advanced Open File options of the backup job for the share and rerun the backup. As the hardware vss will not be present, it will switch to a non-vss backup which should complete successfully albeit with exceptions.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You cannot use methods 2 and 3. You can only use method 1

VJware
Level 6

Well technically method 3 can be used. DFS can be backed up using their share names, however the ACLs aren't maintained.

apomazkin
Level 5

then I need to use 3 method. but i can't solve error issue.

VJware
Level 6

The error msg seems to be an in issue currently under investigation - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH222376

As a test, choose Hardware VSS provider explicitly under the Advanced Open File options of the backup job for the share and rerun the backup. As the hardware vss will not be present, it will switch to a non-vss backup which should complete successfully albeit with exceptions.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The work-around in the document implies that method 1 be used to backup the data.

apomazkin
Level 5

Thanks. 
I selected in "Advanced Open File" snapshot provider "Hardware - Use technology provided by hardware manufacturer".
and job work successfully.

apomazkin
Level 5

I just need to exlude backup exec from source of troubles of DFS access.
just for a short time.