cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to backup Vcenter server Appliance with backup exec 2014

Hello,

I have Vcenter Server Appliance i wanted to know how to save vcenter appliance with Backup exec 2014?

Thanks

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution!

...you have 1 of 2 ways,

...you have 1 of 2 ways, assuming that the appliance's OS is supported by Backup Exec 2014:

1. Agent-level by installing the remote agent on the VM and backing up the files;

2. Via the AVVI agent for VMware itself.

Check the BE 2014 SCL below:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH217478.html

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution!

If you documented the

If you documented the settings you used when setting it up you should not need to back it up as you just provision a new vCenter appliance, enter the settings and start using it.

As it runs a proprietary version of Linux I doubt it is supported by RALUS (check the SCL to be sure) and I am not 100% sure a virtual machine backup (via the vCenter) can backup itself or even if the VMware VDDK/Backup API can actually take a snapshot of the vCenter to allow a backup (you would perhaps have to ask VMware this question as we use their API - or just try it for yourself)

Note even if you can do a virtual machine backup, the job will have to have GRT disabled as the Linux OS means no GRT capability)

2 Replies
Highlighted
Accepted Solution!

...you have 1 of 2 ways,

...you have 1 of 2 ways, assuming that the appliance's OS is supported by Backup Exec 2014:

1. Agent-level by installing the remote agent on the VM and backing up the files;

2. Via the AVVI agent for VMware itself.

Check the BE 2014 SCL below:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH217478.html

Thanks!

Highlighted
Accepted Solution!

If you documented the

If you documented the settings you used when setting it up you should not need to back it up as you just provision a new vCenter appliance, enter the settings and start using it.

As it runs a proprietary version of Linux I doubt it is supported by RALUS (check the SCL to be sure) and I am not 100% sure a virtual machine backup (via the vCenter) can backup itself or even if the VMware VDDK/Backup API can actually take a snapshot of the vCenter to allow a backup (you would perhaps have to ask VMware this question as we use their API - or just try it for yourself)

Note even if you can do a virtual machine backup, the job will have to have GRT disabled as the Linux OS means no GRT capability)