Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup Vcenter server Appliance with backup exec 2014

jba
Level 4
Partner

Hello,

I have Vcenter Server Appliance i wanted to know how to save vcenter appliance with Backup exec 2014?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you have 1 of 2 ways, assuming that the appliance's OS is supported by Backup Exec 2014:

1. Agent-level by installing the remote agent on the VM and backing up the files;

2. Via the AVVI agent for VMware itself.

Check the BE 2014 SCL below:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH217478.html

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you documented the settings you used when setting it up you should not need to back it up as you just provision a new vCenter appliance, enter the settings and start using it.

As it runs a proprietary version of Linux I doubt it is supported by RALUS (check the SCL to be sure) and I am not 100% sure a virtual machine backup (via the vCenter) can backup itself or even if the VMware VDDK/Backup API can actually take a snapshot of the vCenter to allow a backup (you would perhaps have to ask VMware this question as we use their API - or just try it for yourself)

Note even if you can do a virtual machine backup, the job will have to have GRT disabled as the Linux OS means no GRT capability)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you have 1 of 2 ways, assuming that the appliance's OS is supported by Backup Exec 2014:

1. Agent-level by installing the remote agent on the VM and backing up the files;

2. Via the AVVI agent for VMware itself.

Check the BE 2014 SCL below:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH217478.html

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you documented the settings you used when setting it up you should not need to back it up as you just provision a new vCenter appliance, enter the settings and start using it.

As it runs a proprietary version of Linux I doubt it is supported by RALUS (check the SCL to be sure) and I am not 100% sure a virtual machine backup (via the vCenter) can backup itself or even if the VMware VDDK/Backup API can actually take a snapshot of the vCenter to allow a backup (you would perhaps have to ask VMware this question as we use their API - or just try it for yourself)

Note even if you can do a virtual machine backup, the job will have to have GRT disabled as the Linux OS means no GRT capability)