cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup a complete operating system

Ong_CY
Level 2
Any idea what files/folders to backup in order to have a complete recovery of Windows 2000 Server operating system. Must the selection includes Winnt and Program files directories or just the system state will do? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Ricardo_Pistari
Level 5
Full disks + system state.

Note that if you have sql or exchange services running, you need to back them up thru their agents.

Ong_CY
Level 2
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So can I say that it will be safe if I select the whole system drive which is C: drive. As this is a Oracle 9i Database server, I just want to ensure the database will not get locked during backup. I am using Oracle agent for database backup but I am worry there could be other Oracle related files in the system drive if selected will cause database lock. Anyway, what are those Oracle related files or directories that I should avoid in the selection so as to prevent database get locked. Thanks.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

If you are using Oracle Agent, the database and its files are backed up using the agent. FOr this you do not require to stop the Oracle services.

We hope this helps. If this does not answer your question, please elaborate on your environment.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ong_CY
Level 2
Hi,

If I don't want to backup the whole windows system c: drive which take up large space. Any idea, what are the directories and files that can I skip? Or what are the directories and files that I must not skip? Thanks.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

As said in our earlier backup..the full backup of a system cosists of the drives and the system state.

Regarding your query of excluding some directories etc from the backup job, it is difficult to tell which directories you can exclude.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.