cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup data from Windows Server 2012 to Synology NAS with Backup Exec 15

Felix_Cheng
Level 2

I install Backup Exec 15 at Windows Server 2012. I want to backup data from desktop PC to Synology NAS. 

So I create a Share Folder on my Synology NAS with read/write privilege. 

Then return to Backup Exec > Storage > Configure Storage > Disk-based Storage >  Disk Storage > use default name > select Network share

Enter my NAS IP & share folder name : \\10.11.xx.xx\backup

Show "The path appears to be an invalid path. Please ensure the server name and share name are correct"

Do I have something wrong  or anything I have to set up ?

5 REPLIES 5

Felix_Cheng
Level 2

ps. My DS715 is DSM 6.0-7393.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If this NAS can present an iSCSI LUN to the Backup Exec server and then be attached, using the iSCSI initiator, on a drive letter, this is usually the much easier configuratuion to use for backup to Disk on remote disk storage arrays

Felix_Cheng
Level 2

Hi Sir, 

So I can't backup data to share folder directly exclude ISCSI ? 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can backup to a share - but is a complete pain to configure and also CIFS is not as reliable and has performance differences compared with iSCSI - hence strong recommendation is use iSCSI if you can

If you can't then you to to look at

-  making the NAS a domain member in terms of security management as leaving it a workgroup security config is almost impossible to use

- making sure the BE service account (which should be same as System Login) can access the share with full control, Read/Write ability (this means login to the BE server console as that Servcie account user and check teh acces to the share.)

- make sure the share passes a B2DTest (whilst logged in as the service account user)

- possibly have to change the NTLM response requirements between the OS of the server and the NAS (resgistry edits on the BE server)

- possibly reduce the SMB version of the NAS (if it is implementing SMB 3.0 see if it can be set back to SMB 2.0)

MarcoLuvisi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have solved with setup same credential of "BE service" account on NAS.

Regards.