cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup directory skeleton with no files

thatsmartgirl_i
Level 2

Hello,

I need to backup a directory skeleton (with permissions) but without the files.

For all the curious:  This is a storage location for SQL and Oracle backups.  If the location were lost, we would need to recreate the directory, share and permission structure immediately.  The content would not not be needed.

Sincerely,

Sandi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Then you'll have to get every single file extension in those directories and exclude them from the backup.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
You should simply be able backup the directory. Otherwise put in a dummy text file and then back it up that way. Thanks!

There are over 12 TB in a very complex file structure.  I need to backup the file structure ONLY, no files. 

CraigV
Then you'll have to get every single file extension in those directories and exclude them from the backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no way to just simply backup the directory tree.  If you don't backup any file, then nothing get backed up, including the directory tree. To backup the directory tree you need to backup at least one file for each of the nodes in the lowest level of the directory tree.

Note that share permission is not backed up when you backup a directory.  This is because the share information is kept in the registry.