cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup with NDMP over Fibrechannel

Gerhard001
Level 3
Dear Sirs, It is possible to change the NDMP option over TCP/IP to NDMP over Fibrechannel? Our NetApps are connected over TCP/IP and some of our NetApps also connected over Fibrechannel too. The NetApps without an HBA backed up allways over NDMP/IP. But what I have to do, that the NetApps with HBA are backed up over NDMP/Fibrechannel? In the network configuration of Backup Exec I can choose between arbitrary, ethernet 2, ethernet 3 and ethernet 4. Thank you for help! Gerhard
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

You can only do this by writing to tape or tape like storage targets (e.g. VTL) and not to disk or backupexecs dedupe.  Though datadomain does support boost over FC...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Gerhard001
Level 3

By the way....

Our Operating System is not Windows Server 2003/2008. We have Windows Server 2012 R2

teiva-boy
Level 6

You can only do this by writing to tape or tape like storage targets (e.g. VTL) and not to disk or backupexecs dedupe.  Though datadomain does support boost over FC...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This blog contains various options for not backing up over Production LAN. However tevia-boy is in  essence correct in that for NDMP you connect your tape library over FC to the NetApp and then the Backup Exec server instructs the NetApp to send the backup data directly to the tape library (so the instruction is over the LAN but the backup traffic would then be over the SAN.)

BTW read the blog carefuly as the type of data stored on your NetApp does affect whether NDMP Option is a good idea (VMware datastore on a NetApp for instance should use SAN Transport with VMware Agent and NOT the NDMP Option.)

https://www.veritas.com/community/blogs/lan-free-including-san-backup-configurations-backup-exec

Gerhard001
Level 3

Hello telva-boy,

exactly this is what we want to do. We want to backup the NetApp directly to the HP Tapelibrary over Fibrechannel and the NDMP-Option. But the backup-job works allways over LAN and NDMP-Option. The backupserver communicates over FC but the backup itselfes works with LAN.

Thank you for help!

teiva-boy
Level 6

Did you zone the library and netapp filer so they can see each other?  Can you via ontap cli probe those tape devices?  

Gerhard001
Level 3

So I have not enough time, yet. I will test it next year.

I wish a Merry Christmas and a happe New Year.

Greetings

Gerhard