cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build an SDR master

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I am trying to build one SDR boot disk that can accomodate our requirements. And then make several copies of the master.

Our environment is simple comparitively.
We have 1 media server hosting Backup Executive 2012. This media server has directly attached storage via SAS/HBA into a Dell TL-2000 tape library.

Long term goal is to make a Full backup of all out servers onto tape. And then, if a server needs to be reloaded or rebuilt bare metal, the SDR will have what it needs to kick off the process.

I have downloaded the generic SDR .ISO and have burned to DVD.

So, here is where my question lays based on 2 examples.

A. If I want to recover the media server (Server M), what OEM drivers do I need to add?  1. SAS/HBA card, 2. TL-2000 Dell device driver. 3. NIC of server M, 4. other?

B. If I want to restore a different member server (Server X) via SDR, what drivers need to be on the SDR? 1. NIC of media Server M
2. NIC of Server X, 3. Other?

C. Anything else I am overlooking?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no harm in putting in all the drivers for your servers, rather than trying to go with a minimum set of drivers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You need to test the SDR boot disk to make sure it works, I.e. it had all the drivers needed to recover your servers. Nobody can tell you want is needed. You also need to keep copies of your .dr files handy. Otherwise, you would not be able to access your tapes

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I will test the SDR boot CD. But I want to alleviate multiple unnecessary reboots in testing.

Eg, If I surmise that all I need is the NIC of the media server, it would be a wasted effort to have it fail and then source perhaps the 'medium changer' driver, build a new SDR and do another reboot test. And if that fails I'd source the SAS/HBA etc. I am trying to alleviate server downtime to domain users and unnecessary after hour activity.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no harm in putting in all the drivers for your servers, rather than trying to go with a minimum set of drivers.