cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change catalog location from managed backup exec server to CAS (centralized)

StefanWR
Level 3

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Backup Exec 2012 environment. I have several managed BE Server (in different cities) running with a CAS at my headquarter. The catalog setting is set to 'replicated' so that all the catalog information is copied to the CAS. That works fine.

I have set up a new managed BE Server in my headquarter (same LAN as the CAS) a few months ago and now realised, that I accidentially set the catalog storage location to 'distributed' during installation. So the detailed information are only on the managed BE server. I would like to have this server keep it's catalog only on the CAS. How can I move this database to the CAS and change the settings to centralized? In the settings tab of the managed BE server the configuration field for the catalog location is greyed out.

Here are some details to the servers:

CAS:

• Windows Server 2003 R2
  • Backup Exec 2012 (Version 14.0 Rev.1798 - 64Bit)

Managed BE Server:

• Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
  • Backup Exec 2012 (Version 14.0 Rev.1798 - 64Bit)
  • Current catalog storage configuration: distributed
  • Desired catalog storage configuration: centralized

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Stefan

6 REPLIES 6

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Stefan,

Please refer to the following technotes:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73646

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44478

Regards,

-Sush...

StefanWR
Level 3

Hi Sush, thanks for your links. The first one doesn't help me, because the option it is referring to is greyed out for me.

The second link looks good, but it is from 2005. When I start the BEutility and select the managed BE Server I don't have an option to change the catalog storage location. Is there a new entry in the current software release?

I can see an entry "change location of BE database" in the tab "Database Tasks". If I click on it I have to choose a SQL Server instance. I don't think this is the option, is it?

Best regards, Stefan

Sush---
Level 6

No. ""change location of BE database" is not the option to change the catalog mode.

Let me try to find and provide you the updated one.

Regards,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...that 2nd TN was updated in 2011 so it should still be relevant..I've used it before without any issues.

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Stefan,

have you applied SP3 of BE 2012...??? I think that is missing.

Here is the technote which is similar to the issue that you are facing and I suppose installing SP3 should fix it.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH211265 : Catalog mode on a MBES server is stuck in Replicated Catalogs mode.

Regards,

-Sush...

StefanWR
Level 3

Hi Sush, I have the SP3 already installed. I just checked again. There are no further updates waiting. So the software is up to date.

Best regards, Stefan