cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to choose either Network or Active Fiber SW for each backup job

FZ2H
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hello, i have Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 with SP4 could you please help me for the below... "how to choose either Network or Active Fiber SW for each backup job " Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you are asking about selecting an particular nic card to use for backup operations, under network and security options of the backup job you can choose that.

I couldn't understand what you asked about active fibre switch. If your tape drive interface is FC and it is connected to you media server through a switch, after proper zoning you will be able to see the tape drives in OS. Once you configure devices in BE, no need to select any FC switches etc...

Regards...

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The backup job would run via SAN only when you have the SAN storage option installed on the media server and also you need to have the Backup exec installed on the server which you want to backup via SAN ..refer the following document  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH85397

You can sepcify a network card by going to the  backup job properties | Network and security | and specify the network card

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...a SAN infrastructure doesn't guarantee you'll be using your SAN to back up. If you're backing up remote servers, those backups run across the LAN. You need SAN SSO in place to take proper advantage of a SAN infrastructure speeds for a back up.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You may probably give ur  SAN HBA's a specific IP add and subnet and create two seperte backup jobs.
SAN backup - Include all the servers that he wants to backup via SAN. In the backup job properties got to | Network and security | and specify the SAN subnet to be used
LAN backup - servers which he wants to backup via LAN, do not select any specific subnet

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

a SAN infrastructure doesn't guarantee you'll be using your SAN to back up.

I didn't said that.....