cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure BE 2012 to skip corrupted file and move on to completion writing to tape ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi,

I'm having monthly error that is regularly occurring in my backup server where I use Backup Exec 2012 to write some large files into tape with Backup Exec.

The file size is around 300 GB up to 500 GB in one single size and sometimes when the 3rd party backup software got some error in it, it will just delete the file and then replace it with different name. I guess this behaviour causing BE 2012 to stop the Write to tape process and stop the monthly tape backup job with the following error:

Windows Event Log:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Backup Exec
Date:          9/04/2015 4:35:25 AM
Event ID:      34113
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      HQBKPSRV01.domain.com
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "HQBKPSRV01") (Job: "Monthly Backup Job 1 (1 - 12)-Full") Monthly Backup Job 1 (1 - 12)-Full -- The job failed with the following error: Corrupt data encountered. See the job log for details.

BE Job log:

Errors 
Backup- \\HQBKPSRV01.domain.com\F:Directory Backups\SQL Servers\ was not found, or could not be accessed.

None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.

V-79-57344-33967 - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.
V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \Backups\Windows Servers and its subdirectories.

Exceptions 

Backup- \\HQBKPSRV01.domain.com\F:WARNING: "\\HQBKPSRV01.domain.com\F:\Backups\SQL Servers\SQL Servers 2015-03-31T030000.vbk" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

Verify- \\HQBKPSRV01.domain.com\F: Veeam 3WARNING: "SQL Servers 2015-03-31T030000.vbk" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

Any idea of how to prevent this issue and make sure that BE can move on to the next available file ?

8 REPLIES 8

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,  check out this KM for troubleshooting http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH90739

John_Santana
Level 6

Yes I did that already based on http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH90739

The job has been restarted manually, this time using the Automatic Advanced Open File Option (AOFO).

is it because the file is too large 300 - 500 GB ? The Windows OS of the backup server where the BE 2012 is running is Win 2008 R2 Std. with 32 GB RAM

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could also be that the disk is corrupted.  You should use a command prompt and run

chkdsk /f

on the source disk.

John_Santana
Level 6

no there is no disk corruption on the HP EVA 6300 SAN LUN.

if the 300 GB+ file is corrupted, then how to force BE to move on to the next one and ignore it so that the rest of the tape backup job is completed successfully ?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

For corrupt files, this can be used - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5633

But I would not always recommend this since when an actual corrupt file is encountered, the backup will not fail and then a problem could arise during restore.

John_Santana
Level 6

ok, so in this case, I will need to add the file extension to ignore and then just restart the backup job ?

No need to reboot the whole server right ?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you do not plan on backing up a specific file extension, then yes, you can add it as an "Exclude" to the backup job and rerun the backup. No need to reboot the server.

If you are referring to the above mentioned registry key, then it cannot be added for a specific file or extension type. It will be for all and any file which is marked as corrupt.

John_Santana
Level 6

ok, I'm fine with that changes, as long as I get the report of which files has been excluded at the end of the backup job.