Did you mean: 

How to configure Firestreamer Virtual tape library in BE2010 R3

Sid_help
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I am trying to configure Firestramer VTL on BE 2010 R3,

First BE was not able to show the tape media, but i solved that issue,

But when trying to fire test backup it gives errror

Event ID 58064: "Backup Exec Alert: Library Insert (Server: "%server%") (Job: "%job name%") Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command. Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media" is reported in the Event Viewer Application Log

Please share your view also steps to perform.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Any Hardware (Tape Drive, Storage, VTL) when it is not included in Backup Exec Hardware Compatibility List  (the link I provided above) is not supported. Meaning the hardware are not yet tested and proven working by Symantec Backup Exec Developer itself.

To answer your inquiry "If it is not supported in Backup exec then why the inventory is successful and also it is showing in device list." Backup Exec is also dependent with the OS, and has a chance to access any hardware that is seen and configured properly in OS Device Manager.

But since it is not supported by Backup Exec, If error encountered,Symantec Technical Support will not assist you to troubleshoot and fix the said problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

Hi Sid_Help,

I dont think Firestreamer VTL of Cystalink is supported by Backup Exec.

Please review Backup Exec Hardware Compatibility List

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175582

Sid_help
Level 4
Partner Accredited

If it is not supported in Backup exec then why the inventory is successful and also it is showing in device list.

But when we fire backup we get above error.

Here I am enclosing snapshots.

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

Any Hardware (Tape Drive, Storage, VTL) when it is not included in Backup Exec Hardware Compatibility List  (the link I provided above) is not supported. Meaning the hardware are not yet tested and proven working by Symantec Backup Exec Developer itself.

To answer your inquiry "If it is not supported in Backup exec then why the inventory is successful and also it is showing in device list." Backup Exec is also dependent with the OS, and has a chance to access any hardware that is seen and configured properly in OS Device Manager.

But since it is not supported by Backup Exec, If error encountered,Symantec Technical Support will not assist you to troubleshoot and fix the said problem.

I have netbackup 7.6 + firestreaming 4 running together with no problems.

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

Regardless the Inventory has worked has no impact on Backup Exec's ability to support the device. There is no driver support for the VTL's changer or it's virtual tape drives. There are no plans at this point in time to support this device.