cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure document level backup of MOSS 2007 in Backup Exec 2010?

havenoclue
Level 2

Hi guys,

I am trying to configure document level backup for MOSS in BE 2010, but it does not work. I was able to create a job and it completed successfully, but the there were no individual documents available for a restore. The BE help does not mention any special requirements for this configuration.

I found that NFS was a requirement for NetBackup 7, but I am not sure if it's required for BE 2010 too. Anyway, the doc at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH85693 mentions setting a variable: "Add the path of the mount command to the PATH system variable", but there is no explanaiting of what is this "mount" command.

Any idea?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

havenoclue
Level 2

Hi guys,

Everything was okay, it's just that in the restore wizard I was trying to locate MOSS documents by expending the MOSS server itself instead of expending the farm name and looking under Web Application.

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The KB article mentioned does not apply to Backup Exec. For a brick level restore of MOSS 2007, following are generic requirements:

1: Full backup is run with GRT enabled.

2: RAWS is installed on the Sharepoint servers & the appropriate Agent for MS Sharepoint is installed on the BE media server. (RAWS version should match BE version)

You may refer to this KB article & the related articles for a bit more info - http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO11768

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO12653

havenoclue
Level 2

Thanks VJware,

I have followed the guide, but it did not work. So, the agents are deployed on BE server, MOSS and SQL, and they are all the same version. I configured a full backup of MOSS, selected everything listed under "Microsoft SharePoint Server Farm" node and enabled GRT. The job completed successfully, but there are no files available for a restore.

Thanks

Jaxom
Level 3
Partner Accredited

hi havenoclue,

i'm very interested in your case. can you give me abit of info on how you setup your MOSS (2007/2010)? Is it a single server or multiple server setup (as in separate web/app/sql svr environment)? SQL/OS version if possible?

i'm not doubting your claims but when you mentioned that your backups are ok, can you see like how many folders/files/size it is?

Just an info that the BESA account for backup must have proper rights at domain admin/local admin/farm admin/site admin and public+sysadmin for SQL

havenoclue
Level 2

Hi Jaxom,

It's 1 Win 2003 server hosting MOSS 2007 and IIS, and another Win 2003 server hosting MS SQL 2005.

The total MOSS backup size is 12 GB.

From the backup job report:

SQL backup: MOSS_CONFIG, MOSS_SSP_10001, MOSS_SSP, MOSS_SSP_SEARCH, MOSS_SEARCH_SERVERNAME, WSS_Content_Directors, MOSS_CONTENT_80, MOSS_MYSITES_10002, MOSS_APP10000

MOSS backup: Global Settings, Shared Search Index\Index files 1, Search instance\Index files 1

(These index files are actually visible and selectable in a restore wizard)

The job on BE server and agents on MOSS and SQL servers are running under the same account which is a local admin on all 3 servers as well as a member of Farm Admins group on MOSS. The account successfully backs up all other non-MOSS DBs on the same SQL server.

Thanks

havenoclue
Level 2

Hi guys,

Everything was okay, it's just that in the restore wizard I was trying to locate MOSS documents by expending the MOSS server itself instead of expending the farm name and looking under Web Application.

Thanks for your help

Jaxom
Level 3
Partner Accredited

haha that's great news havenoclue :)

yea the restore components for the SharePoint backups appears on the Farm<server name>  listing.

cheers!