cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect servers for backup to Dell EQ SAN?

DO2012
Level 2

Hi All,

I have 10 physicals Microsoft Windows servers 2008 and Microsoft SQL servers and I want to create a better solution to do backup for them stored in Dell SAN. I have a Dell EQ SAN and I want to know what is the best solution to connect servers to Dell EQ SAN in order to do backup?

I can install Symantec Backup Exec 2012 in one server connected direct to the SAN and this server will be connected to each servers or I have to connect each server to the SAN and install Symantec Backup Exec in each server?

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

If you have  a lot of data and need fast backups, using the Enterprise Server Option will help as it will share your storage with the other servers.

Alternatively, just carve out storage for the server you want to backup via the SAN, install BE 2012 on these and backup to the presented storage.

I would recommend the CASO option to manage multiple servers, and any small servers like domain controllers etc that don't need SAN backups can be backed up by a single backup server to cut costs.

Thanks!

DO2012
Level 2

My client has a SAN already I am not sure yet how much data they want to backup but in case that they need a lot of backup you mention to install BE 2012 Media server on each physical server and create the jobs etc essentially they`ll end up having about 6 or more BE servers which can get out of hand. Isn`t here a way for BE2012 when running these jobs on the remote server to actually place them directly to the SAN if the remote hosts already have an ISCSI connection with Write access to those luns where the Disk Storage is created within the BE Media Server 2012 ?

Thanks!