cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a NetApp NDMP BU via Fibre and not via Network

Jean-Francois-S
Level 3

Hi, we have configured the zoning between a NetApp and a shared BU drive.

The we have configured the NetApp for NDMP support and the NetApp was added in BU Exec 2012 as a NDMP server (after NDMP lic activation).

When I try to create a NDMP BU, I go to the server list, I "right click" on the NetApp server then I click on "Backup". There, I can see :

- Backup to deduplication disk storage,

- Backup to deduplication disk storage and then duplicate to deduplication disk storage,

- Backup to deduplication disk storage and then, deduplication to tape,

- Backup to disk,

- Backup to disk and then duplicate to tape,

and finaly

- Backup to tape

Based on this backup offer, we tried to create a "backup to tape"

On the left column, we have selected a NetApp volume.  And on the right column, via "Edit", we decide to :

- "Schedule" : create a full backup,

- "Storage" : we select the available drive

- Network ; default

- NDMP : we select "BAckup Access Control Lists" and "Enable file history"

When we realised the backup, we have had Nework backup via the BU Exec server...  and not a direct backup to the drive.

Could you help me please ?

Tks

13 REPLIES 13

Jean-Francois-S
Level 3

something important, the BU drive is also directly accessible from the BU Exec server.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

How is the Tape drive configured. Have you added it as a NDMP device or as a normal Tape Drive.

Jean-Francois-S
Level 3

normal tape drive because already used by BU Exec for classical BU to tape

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

This document should help you with the configuration and explaination both

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48957

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JExCsIvQ-U8

Jean-Francois-S
Level 3

tks but not really.  I had already find those documents.

with BU Exec 2012, I haven't a possibility to choice an NDMP BU.  It's in the menu (see my original request) but I don't know how to say that I want a NDMP BU in place of a B2T ...

Have you a video to help me ?  I haven't find that on Internet

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Yes it is one of the How-to videos for BE 2012 from the Backup Exec support page

Jean-Francois-S
Level 3

yes but It's only to show a NetApp server.  It was done.

My request is how to use a drive shared between a NDMP backup and a standard BU to tape ?

where can I select it ?

Jean-Francois-S
Level 3

if you have an e-mail adress, I can send you few printscreens

Jean-Francois-S
Level 3

on the storage tab, I can see all drives and tapes under the BU server but also under the NetApp stoareg name.  Is it normal ?  Is it due to the fact that a BU drive is shared between the BU exec server and the NetApp (NDMP) ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you can attach screenshots to your post.

Thanks!

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Yes. The one under Netapp storage is where you should be targeting your backup to if you dont want it to travel on ethernet.

Jean-Francois-S
Level 3

I planned a meeting with the NetApp arrays manager for tomorrow PM to valid all the config on his part.  I will come back to you if possible.  Tks for your intervention.  Best regards

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Are you using a single stand-alone tape drive?  or is this tape drive part of a robotic library?

Assuming you are using a tape library, are the entire library and all tape drives visible on the FC SAN to both the BE server and the NDMP server?