cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a custom Schedule BE 2012

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi ,

I currently have a differential Backup set up to run Mon-Fri at 2000 and a Full Backup to run on a friday at 2000. I do not want the differential to run on the Friday due to the Schedule of the Full backup. Can anybody please advise how I can set up a Custom Schedule for the differential Job.

Regards

Leon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lee_Doucette
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Leon,

Based on those screentshots it does not appear that the Differential and the Full both ran on the same day. In each case the Start Time and End Time columns indicate that the Differential ran a day or two after the Full, which likely means that where the two schedules conflict, the Differential was superseded by the Full as it should be.

In your originial post you indicated that you want to run the Full on Friday, and the Differential on Monday through Friday, but you do not want the Differential to run when the Full runs on Friday. Does your schedule have the Full running EVERY Friday, and the Differential running every Monday-Thursday? If this is the case, then the simpler approach would be to configure the Differential to run on Monday through Thursday instead, and eliminate the concern of the conflicting schedule. This can be done by choosing the Weekly recurrence pattern for the Differential backup schedule, and selecting the checkboxes for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday only.

Regards,

Lee Doucette
Symantec Corp.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No need to do any thing.

BE will superseed differential backup on Friday and run FULL backup.

You can check the same by using Backup Calender.

Colin_Weaver

To expand on Kiran's reply - if two stages in a single backup definition are set to start at the same time and day (so for instance a Full and a Differential like you have asked) then Backup Exec looks at the schedule and runs the job that would normally run less frequently, i.e. Full runs once a week, diff runs one every work day, full runs as having the less frequent schedule and the differential is then requeued for its next scheduled time.

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi Kiran,

that was my understanding however it would appear that both of the jobs ran on friday. I have just noticed the problem I think though. The Storage setting for the Full backup is set as Tape Drive 0001 and for the differential it is set to Any tape cartridge storage. Do you think this caused the issue?

Regards

Leon

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Storage device settings doesn't matter in this case as per my understanding.

Have you configured FULL and Differential methods as different jobs? If so, both jobs will run. 

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for the explanation that totally makes sense to me now!

Regards

Leon

JDR1990
Level 4

No they are the same job - I initially tried to set them up as separate jobs however was unable to so so.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

however it would appear that both of the jobs ran on friday....

Have you checked job history/backup sets to confirm the same?

JDR1990
Level 4

The Jobs that run are on 6 different servers and it would appear that the differential job ran as well as the Full on two of them. the servers are not in a group however whenever i set up the job or make any changes I simply highlight them all then click 'edit Backups'. Would the fact that they are not grouped cause any issues?

JDR1990
Level 4

Screenshots for the job histroy of the two servers are shown below

JDR1990
Level 4

Lee_Doucette
Level 2

Hi Leon,

Based on those screentshots it does not appear that the Differential and the Full both ran on the same day. In each case the Start Time and End Time columns indicate that the Differential ran a day or two after the Full, which likely means that where the two schedules conflict, the Differential was superseded by the Full as it should be.

In your originial post you indicated that you want to run the Full on Friday, and the Differential on Monday through Friday, but you do not want the Differential to run when the Full runs on Friday. Does your schedule have the Full running EVERY Friday, and the Differential running every Monday-Thursday? If this is the case, then the simpler approach would be to configure the Differential to run on Monday through Thursday instead, and eliminate the concern of the conflicting schedule. This can be done by choosing the Weekly recurrence pattern for the Differential backup schedule, and selecting the checkboxes for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday only.

Regards,

Lee Doucette
Symantec Corp.

JDR1990
Level 4

Lee,

Thats exactly what I was looking for - many thanks!

Regards

Leon