cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create media set for backup to disk folder

trung00th1
Not applicable

Hi team,

Can you help to explain me what is the overwrite protection period and append period.

As I read the document but still I cannot understand the context.

For example: I have my file server backup strategy as below:

_Back up to disk folder

_I want my data on file server to be full backup, and this job will be running daily at 10pm.

_Data is kept for 7 days then it can be over written, no need to be appendable.

I have created a media set as above requirement: Keep data for 1 week, no appendable, schedule to run daily at 10pm.

can you help to check is it correct for the media set setting.

Thanks so much.

2 REPLIES 2

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

Here is a link for the Technote which explains of overwrite protection levels :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459

Overwrite protection period:

Overwrite protection period
is the amount of time specified in hours, days, weeks, or years to keep a piece of media from being overwritten. While the default Overwrite protection period for a media set is Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite, the Overwrite protection period for the media set can be changed by the user. If the Overwrite protection period is set to four weeks for example, the media will be protected from being overwritten for four weeks. After the four weeks are over, the media becomes "recyclable" and can be overwritten. The Overwrite protection period starts at the end of each job run, not the beginning. It is lengthened each time a media is modified.

Append Period:

Append period is the amount of time specified in hours, days, weeks, or years, that data may be added (appended) to media. While the default Append period for a media set is Infinite - Allow Append, the Append period for the media set can be changed by the user. If the Append period is set to four weeks for example, the media can be appended to for the next four weeks. After the four weeks are over, the media can no longer be appended to. Appending jobs will add to the Overwrite protection period; append adheres to the first job run on tape. The Append period starts at the time that a media is first allocated to a media set.

Current settings for your media set i.e. Overwrite protection 7 days and Append Periond 0 days is correct.

Hope this helps.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

OPP starts from the end of the job that writes to it last.  If your Monday job starts at 10 p.m. and ends at 11 p.m., then your media will be protected until 11 p.m. the next Monday if you set the OPP to 1 week.  When your job starts at 10 p.m on the next Monday, then it will not be able to overwrite the media as it is still protected.  In your case, you should set the OPP to 6 days