cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to debug i-n-c-r-e-m-e-n-t-a-l backup failure?

today
Level 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

today
Level 4

I could find nothing specific to debugging failure of incrementals.  There is only generalized debugging, which you can turn on via Yellow Symantec Button/Technical Support/Collect Debug Output.  This will launch SGMon, where you can configure and watch debugging information.  I had to really play around with this a lot to get what I needed, plus I had to dig deeply in a blizzard of debugging info.  I can't even remember what settings I made, but it has to do with BEREMOTE.  You need to turn debugging on enough so that you will start seeing entries from [fsys\vrtsrv].

The debug line that popped out that solved my problem with incremental backups was the following:

1366    BEREMOTE    5076    2014-06-17 4:35:29 AM    9188    [fsys\vrtsrv]        - VirtualServer::AttachToDLE: failed to open 'C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\Hyper-V\Temp\DADD3CD8-C42D-48F1-B26B-C549DD1829F4\A9C309AE-0305-45D5-9F5A-CB3CEE2E7922\FingerPrintDiskMap.txt' - err: 2 3

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

today
Level 4

I am sorry for the crazy title, but I am going nuts.  I have tried to post several times about this problem, but all my posts end up with red dashed lines around them and will not publish.  What is odd is that I've written several posts that have had no issue getting posted, but any time I post about the above incremental problem, the post gets red dashed.  That is why I also took a picture of my last post and inserted the image above instead of putting text in.  I don't know what crazy combination of words is causing the forum to behave in this way.

It has taken six posts and four days to finally get this issue posted.  Very frustrating because I'm in this zone where I cannot request official Symantec support because I am using BE 2014 Trial.  But how can Symantec expect me to purchase BE 2014 if a major feature of it is not working for me and I cannot figure it out?

today
Level 4

This post is actually a reworking of my "Backup Exec 2014 - Cannot do Hyper-V VM incrementals on Server 2012" post, which has additional information about my situation, if you are interested.  I realized that people might not have much experience with BE 2014, but the debugging system is probably similar to BE 2012 and BE 2010.

today
Level 4

I could find nothing specific to debugging failure of incrementals.  There is only generalized debugging, which you can turn on via Yellow Symantec Button/Technical Support/Collect Debug Output.  This will launch SGMon, where you can configure and watch debugging information.  I had to really play around with this a lot to get what I needed, plus I had to dig deeply in a blizzard of debugging info.  I can't even remember what settings I made, but it has to do with BEREMOTE.  You need to turn debugging on enough so that you will start seeing entries from [fsys\vrtsrv].

The debug line that popped out that solved my problem with incremental backups was the following:

1366    BEREMOTE    5076    2014-06-17 4:35:29 AM    9188    [fsys\vrtsrv]        - VirtualServer::AttachToDLE: failed to open 'C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\Hyper-V\Temp\DADD3CD8-C42D-48F1-B26B-C549DD1829F4\A9C309AE-0305-45D5-9F5A-CB3CEE2E7922\FingerPrintDiskMap.txt' - err: 2 3