cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to eject tape from Dell tape loader PV124T using Backup Exec GUI or BEMCLI?

TodLoch
Level 3

Hi,

I would like to eject tape from Dell PV 124T using Backup Exec GUI or BEMCLI and Powershell (preferred solustion)

Tape loader have one magazine with 8 tapes in. One backup job use tape in slot no 3, and I would like to eject tape from slot 3 to mailslot automatically after job finished. Now I have to use web interface on PV124T to move tape to mailslot.

Is it possible to eject tape using Backup Exec GUI or BEMCLI?

Best regards

Mariusz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

The PV-124T has a manual mailslot.  User intervention at the library LCD or at the library web interface is required to export a tape.  Backup Exec doesn't have the ability to move a tape to the mailslot.

I believe that there would be a risk that if Backup Exec moved a tape to the mailsot and no human was there to remove the tape, the library would be unable to rotate/move any more tapes internally, therefore all jobs would queue indefinitly or fail.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In a library you Export tapes to a mailslot or Import tapes from a mailslot to a storage slot

The term Eject actually applies to removing a tape from a drive (so within Backup Exec is only used against Stand Alone drives as the eject from a Library Drive to a storage slot takes place automatically when the tape is no longer needed by a job)

And yes we do have an Export/Import capability - either at end of a Backup Job or as a one off request - have a look at the options available when right clicking the tape in a slot in your magazine and also look for the Export at end of job option in the job settings. I believe there are BEMCLI commands available if you look for Import or Export in the BEMCLI help file too

Hi Collin,

When I right click on Slot 1 and choose "Export media now", I receive alert:

I don't understand this message: "Please remove the media from the following slots:1"

The tape doesn't move from slot 1 to mailslot :(

obraz.png

Colin_Weaver

Sorry I don't have a library that I can check the exact steps or what you see on screen against.

Yes, I've checked. It didn't move to mailslot.

Below are couple screenshots which ilustrate step by step what I have done:

obraz.png

Next I choose "Export media now"

obraz.png

Then I have notification

obraz.png

When I click on "Details" I have:

obraz.png

And finally when I click "Respond OK" I have notification:

obraz.png

But the tape doesn't move from slot 1 to mailslot :(

Colin_Weaver

Can you find the ADAMM.LOG file, open it in a text editor and then start oorm the bottom read (or search) upwards)until you find 2  lines next to each other called:

Portal Slots

and

Import/Export

Can you tell me what it says against the two lines.

Note: these two lines will be tabbed/stepped in a bit from the edge of the log.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

The PV-124T has a manual mailslot.  User intervention at the library LCD or at the library web interface is required to export a tape.  Backup Exec doesn't have the ability to move a tape to the mailslot.

I believe that there would be a risk that if Backup Exec moved a tape to the mailsot and no human was there to remove the tape, the library would be unable to rotate/move any more tapes internally, therefore all jobs would queue indefinitly or fail.

Here there are:

Device IDs              1005, {22A3E9F0-FA20-4600-9053-64B0F5C81290}
                     Device Name             "Robotic library 0001"
                     Device Type             2131755008, "CHANGER FS=1"
                     Device Features         0x00006000: RMP,RRD
                     1st Slot Number         1
                     Number Of Slots         8
                     Portal Slots            0
                     Import/Export           Manual

Drive Element 0         1003, "QUANTUM ULTRIUM 5       HU1226P3GR"

Colin_Weaver

Thanks the snippet from the ADAMM.LOG covers my suspicion - and matches the answer Larry Fine just gave as well.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have no experience with Dell PV 124T and I am not sure why Dell would design a mailslot which requires manual intervention to move a tape from a regular slot to the mailslot.

However, your screenshot shows something wrong.  You have 8 slots in your tape library.  If you have activated the mailslot, then BE should only show 7 slots in your tape library.  The mailslot is not shown and cannot be used for normal tape operations.  The mailslot is normally left empty so that BE can move tapes from a regular slot to the mailslot in an export operation.

I would suggest that

1) check with Dell whether your tape library will respond to an Export command from any backup software, not just BE

2) check that the mailslot is properly activated, using the tape library UI.

3) if the tape library UI shows the mailslot is properly activated, then you may have to restart your tape library followed by the BE Server so that BE can sense the mailslot and show only 7 slots, in your case.

Note that using the tape library UI, you can move tapes from one slot to another, including the mailslot, but this is not proof that the mailslot is activated.  Check with Dell as to how to activate the mailslot

Hi, the screeshot shows correct slots, there are 8 slots for tapes in the magazine. This tape library supports 2 magazines, left and right, each supports 8 tapes. The mailslot is in the middle on the front panel, and it is not shown in the BE.

I don't have any option in tape library UI to configure mailslot.

Thanks for your reply,

Regards, Mariusz

Colin, thank you for your time and answers.

Best regards,

Mariusz

Larry, thank you for your time and answers. I mark your reply as a solution.

Best regards,

Mariusz