cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to expire a job in backup exec

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

My storage disk is almost full and the backups hasn't reach it retention period. 

How can i expire a job on backup exec 2014 to free space inside my storage disk?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LegAEI
Level 5

Do you have enough space for the removals in our staging directory?

Garbage removal happens once every two weeks from the deduplication store. If you want to attempt to manually kick off the garbage collection process, here is the procedure:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH192557

To expand your deduplication store, you just have to expand the volume it resides on in windows.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Go into the storage and expand/open teh details until you can right click an old "backup set" and select expire

It might give a pop up a message saying it is linked to other sets which you will need to read and make a decision against

If the expire is commited the set may disappear immediately or may take up to 4 hours

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

The backup set disappear immediately but not effect at the storage end.

what else do you suggest i should do?

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

easiest solution = expand your storage disk.

Are you using a deduplication disk or a native B2D folder?

regards

Ola_Olalegbin
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Am using a dedupe disk.

do you mean i should expand the storage on backup exec console or how do you mean?

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

freeing spece on a dedupe vollume is not as easy.

because a dedupe volume is storing only unique data. So if you are expiring a lot of backups, and 98% of these backup-pieces are not unique, they will not create free space on your storage.

some extra questions for your storage expansion:

- is your dedupe located on local server disks? or on network storage?

if it is located on network storage, simply expand these storage, after this you will be able to expand your disk on windows level (right click on my computer - select manage - disks) these changes will be visible in backupexec immidiately.

regards

LegAEI
Level 5

Do you have enough space for the removals in our staging directory?

Garbage removal happens once every two weeks from the deduplication store. If you want to attempt to manually kick off the garbage collection process, here is the procedure:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH192557

To expand your deduplication store, you just have to expand the volume it resides on in windows.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Garbage collection is done twice a day, not once in two weeks

LegAEI
Level 5

Hrm, I don't exactly know where I got two weeks from, apologies.