cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find B2D files relating to backup set?

cparker4486
Level 3

Hi,

I added a file server yesterday to my BE 2012 server and created a backup job. There is about 7GB of data in the file share and BE reported a succesful job and stated that it backed up all the data. However, I cannot for the life of me find the file. There is only ONE file in the storage repo that I pointed the job to but it is only 88MB! Where is the REAL B2D file?

When I click on "backup sets" and then double-click the set it created last night there is no where (that I can find) that shows which B2D files are associated with the set. Why?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can find out the bkf file name in respective job log. Also make sure other jobs haven't overwritten the data that was backed-up yesterday. 

As you are seeing a huge difference in backed-up data original data, test the backup by comparing the contents of backup set with original. You can also try out a test restore. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can find out the bkf file name in respective job log. Also make sure other jobs haven't overwritten the data that was backed-up yesterday. 

As you are seeing a huge difference in backed-up data original data, test the backup by comparing the contents of backup set with original. You can also try out a test restore. 

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

cparker4486

If youre looking for the actual storage location you can view the properties of the disk storage youre targeting. look under path and it will provide you with the location of the BKF/IMG 's written to that storage location .. 

cparker4486
Level 3

I'm going to mark yours as the answer since it, technically, is the way you determine which media is associated with a job but my major complaint is that this is not possible by drilling down into a media set. I see no reason for a media set record to not identify which physical files it is associated with.

I think the new UI is a bit of a mess because of all the different ways you can access the same information.

cparker4486
Level 3

Just in case you don't see my other comment the problem is that drilling down into the media set does not reveal which media are associated to the set. I just don't see how this made sense to whoever decided it was a good idea. "Hey, here's an idea! Let's not show the related media when clicking on media set. It'll be great!"

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When you click on the media set you should be able to drill down into the media set. After clicking on the snapshot you should be taken to a details screen ... on the left you should see tabs for content and properties. Select content and attempt to drill down.