cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get BE 2012 to load tapes for an NDMP drive

ScottBR
Not applicable

I have Backup Exec 2012 installed on a Windows 2008 R2 server, which has one tape drive (the first, so that it controls the robotics) in a Qualstar library direct connected via fiber.  I also have a NetApp 2240 direct connected to another tape drive in the library via fiber.  Screenshot attached (sorry about quality).

I can successfully backup to the NDMP tape, but BE won't load the tapes into the drive.  It will give me a pop-up to load a tape into the drive, which once I do it will work, but I'd really prefer to have it deal with the media set directly.

I've tried repartitioning the library to give the NDMP drive slots, but BE can't then see the slots from it's partition, and the filer either doesn't see them or the protocol doesn't allow it to advertise them.

Anyone have this working and can point me at what I'm missing?

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

BE controls the robots via the devices/hosts that run the backup

As such the NetApp needs to control the library arm with BE sending the request to the NetApp

If you intend to run backups from both Windows and NetApp to the same library then the arm will need to be connected to both media server and NetApp (via SAN technologies) In this scenario I also recommend that you make all drives on the library also visible to both media server and NetApp and then let BE manage whether the netApp is using it or BE itself.