cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install Lotus Notes Agent on remote domino server?

GeirT
Level 3
Partner
Hi, I've been searching for a good manual for pushing the Lotus Notes Agent to a remote Domino server. I can't find any. Anybody out there who have done this with BE 2010? Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The only thing i can't figure out are if there are any client Lotus Notes Agent files that I should install?

No.  The Notes Agent (or any database agent for that matter) just unlocks the capability on the media server as Craig said several posts up.

To talk to the remote server at all you need the Remote Agent intstalled and running.  So if the Notes Agent shows as installed on the media server, and the Remote Agent is installed and running, you should see a Notes Database option when you browse to the server that holds it.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
It is very simple, Once you have the license for domino install it on the Backup Exec server by going to tools - install options and license key. Install the remote agent on the domino server to bacup the remote domino server.

Always remember that all the license will be installed on Backup Exec server and the remote agent will get installed on the remote server

andre_baettig
Level 3
Hi sazz

I installed the domino agent license, but can't find the domino agent to push to the Lotus Notes Server. All I can see is:
- Symantec Backup Exec
- Remote Agent for Windwos Systems
- Desktop and Laptop Agent
- DLO-Managementservice

Thanks for your help

Andre

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Andre,

The license unlocks that functionality on your media server to be able to see Lotus.
All you do is go into your selection list, find your server, right-click it and choose the option to install remote agent/AOFO on it.
Once done, the agent communicates back to the media server which will see the Lotus installation.

Cheers!

GeirT
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

I have installed the RWRA but not the AOFO. The notes databases will still not show in the selections list. Maybe that is the problem? There is no Notes Agent client installation file?

Thank you for the answeres so far.

GeirT
Level 3
Partner
Sorry, ment the Remote Agent for Windows Server....

andre_baettig
Level 3

Hi CraigV

From the "Symantec Backup Exec 2010 Administrator's Guide":

The Symantec Backup Exec Agent for Lotus Domino Server (Lotus Domino Agent)

is installed as a separate, add-on component of Backup Exec.

You say there is no such special agent in BE2010, only the normal Remote Agent, the same as used for file backups?

Regards

Andre

GeirT
Level 3
Partner
Hi CraigV,

I have done the following:

- Installed the Remote agent for Windows server. It works fine and the files on the server are backed up.
- Installed the Lotus Notes Agent license.
- Compared the installation and configuration with another customer and it looks the same. The only difference is that this is a remote server. The other one that are ok have the BE installation on the Domino server.
- Went through the registry setting explained in this article: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/242655.htm Everything seems to be ok here.
- Have not enabled the AOFO, but that is not enabled on the server that works just fine either.

The only thing i can't figure out are if there are any client Lotus Notes Agent files that I should install?

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

No.  The Notes Agent (or any database agent for that matter) just unlocks the capability on the media server as Craig said several posts up.

To talk to the remote server at all you need the Remote Agent intstalled and running.  So if the Notes Agent shows as installed on the media server, and the Remote Agent is installed and running, you should see a Notes Database option when you browse to the server that holds it.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As per the previous answers, there is no separate agent for Lotus Domino.  You just install the licence on the media server and push out the remote agent for Windows system to the machine with the Domino databases.  You can verify that you have installed the Domino licence properly by going to Help --> About and click on the Licence Information button.

If the iicence is installed correctly, then you should be able to see a the Lotus Domino Databases section in your backup selection list.  See below.  My Lotus Domino Databases is on my media server, but the same section should appear on the remote server with the Domino databases.  You select the Domino databases to backup by expanding this section.

GeirT
Level 3
Partner
Hi Ken,

Thanks.

Then there are something else wrong since the notes databases still don't show in the selections list. Any ideas to what could be wrong?
As I said earlier the Remote Agent seems to be working fine. The media server is Windows 2008 64 bit server and the Domino server is Windows 2003 32 bit server. There could be some communication problems between the two systems because when I tried to push the agent from the media server it would not complete the task. I had to install the agent manually on the remote server. As I also stated earlier the file backup of this remote server works just fine.

CraigV
Communications errors? Have you checked to see that there is no firewall in operation between the 2 servers, and if so, that the necessary port exclusions have been put in?
I also get push-install hassles at times. My issue is that it is sometimes McAfee blocking it...another thing to check up on is that your AV isn't blocking communication.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmmm

have you tried publishing the Agent to the media server?  See  the Admin Guide for details

GeirT
Level 3
Partner

Hi CraigV,

I have checked:

- windows firewall is disabled.
- Antivirus is disabled
- WMI is enabled and security is acording to article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa393266.aspx

Still I get this error when trying to push the Remote Agent to a Windows server 2003 (see attachment). Any suggestions?

CraigV
Mmm...is the service account a local administrator on that Lotus Notes server...?
What does the local install do?