cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to limit Backup to DIsk space usage

Jonathan_Hoskin
Level 2
Hi, We have recently installed BackupExec 12.5 and are having difficulties using the Backup to Disk feature.... We have configured a shared folder on our NAS device as a Backup to Disk folder, and also setup a daily backup job to backup a Hyper-V VM to the device. The job runs fine for the first couple of nights, however each time it runs BackupExec insists on creating a new set of backup files in the Backup to Disk folder rather than overwriting the existing ones. After a few nights the job fails when the NAS box runs out of space. I would like to know if it is possible to tell Backup Exec to reuse the backup files each night? If so can someone tell me how to do this on a step by step process? Thanks. Jon
5 REPLIES 5

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Right click on your backup-to-disk folder and change the settings, in particular, the maximum number of backup sets to keep. It defaults to 100, which is a lot. Do some math, and if you have 100GB of storage, but you backup 20GB every night, you would want to set it to 4, not 5, since the 5th would probably run you out of space.

Also, hit the Advanced tab, and set a low disk space threshold.

Jonathan_Hoskin
Level 2

Fantastic, so this is what I've now done....

1) For the media pool, I've setup the overwrite and append protection periods to just 1 hour

2) For the backup-to-disk folder, I've set the maximum number of backup sets to 1 and set the low disk space threshold to 100GB

I take it this will now make Backup Exec reuse the same backup file each night?  And the backup will only fail if our NAS box drops below 100GB free space?

Thanks for your help.

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

I take it when you mention the media pool, you are backing up to disk, then backing up that back-up-to-disk folder to tape.

Your protection periods are almost certain to give you problems. Please tell me what you are trying to accomplish, and what your job settings are so I can make some suggestions. For example, I have 20 tapes and I do a daily on the first four, a weekly on the next four, and a monthly on the last 12. My job is set to overwrite the tape and I only put one job on each tape, or I append jobs, etc.

In general, if I am just doing one job to one tape, I set the overwrite protection period to 0 hours (turns it off) so I can overwrite the tape at will. You should also look at Tools>Options>Media Mangement, and set it as you desire. I personally set that to none and uncheck the "Prompt" box. In my job I then set it to simply overwrite the tape. In the above one-tape scenario, I set the append time to infinite.

If you save tapes and it is important that they not be overwritten, put them in a separate media pool with the longer overwrite period you desire, which may require making them a separate job too.

Append can be trickier because there are two situations. First is I have a job that appends my daily bacckups for Monday-Wednesday, but I ONLY want this week's at any given time, so I set the append period to 6 days. After 6 days, it overwrites.

The second situation deals with space and not wanting to have to pop a new tape when you come in. If you have a large tape like 800GB that can hold 4 of your 175GB backups, which you do weekly, that means in the 5th week you would come in and the job would be asking for another tape. To avoid that, you set the append period to either 4 weeks or 30 days, for example. That way on that 5th week, it will not append, but overwrite it and start again.

Jonathan_Hoskin
Level 2

we've got two seperate jobs on the server.  one is a tape job that backs up several servers, including the Hyper V machine, to tape every night.  the other is a backup-to-disk job that backs up just the Hyper V machine to our NAS box every night.

the backup-to-disk job is intended just to copy the hyper v machine to our NAS box.  we only need the most recent backup on our NAS box, hence why I've set it to a maximum of 1 backup set.

the tape job doesn't use the backup-to-disk files and runs seperately.  for our tapes we keep a few weeks backup history.

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6
Then it really seems like you probably don't want any overwrite protection and assuming you don't append, infinite append.