cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make two backup exec servers communicate

khalidtouati
Level 3

Hi All,

I am running a trial version of backup exec 2010 and trying to imitate the scenario that our comapny want to use backup exec for, the original scenario is one backup server at the company talk to another one outside the company to backup changes, this way we will have Disaster recovery implemented. In my lab, I installed backup Exec in two servers one belong to the our domain and the other to Workgroup, and what i want to accomplish is trying to make them communicate by IP address, can you help with any ideas how to do that, I have the administration guide but it's a couple thousand pages and no trace for the word replication.

khalid

9 REPLIES 9

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi,

You would need to have your primary Backup Exec Server acting as CASO (Central Admin Server Option) and second one acting as Managed Media Server/ basic Backup Exec Server.

But what i know, there's limitation that both servers would have to belong to same domain, so you cant use domain and workgroup server.

Some time ago i tested that scenario so that i had CASO on domain and second server on workgroup, and used similar accounts with same password, and it looked like everything worked.

So, on domain server i used account "administrator" with password "Password" and on workgroup i had same accounts. I'm sure that this ain't supported scenario but at least it worked on my test lab.

Here's a good article of CASO http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH60559

If i've misunderstood what you would like to do with your backup environment, let's try again.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Might be easier to get several large eSATA disks and backup to them, and rotate them off site, rather than trying to fight non-domain rights on the WorkGroup server

teiva-boy
Level 6

The domains must have at least a one-way trust I believe as stated in the Admin Guide for it to work.  The Admin Guide does list out what is needed last I recall.

But just think of CASO as the glue to join multiple BE servers together and allow them to work together, centralize management, reporting, and allow for replication between media servers (with Dedupe of course)

khalidtouati
Level 3

Thank you guys for your replies, I went through the little steps posted by Juhto (thank you for that) but I couldn't make them talk to eac h other, I do have the central admin option on one of them (trial).

My question is do you guys know if at all this is possible, i mean one machine located inside a domain talking to another machine (geographically) outside the company?

I think this trust thing is the right way to follow if possible at all, but I'm wondering though does backup exec have the ability to recognaize a mchine by IP address or after trust built?

khalidtouati
Level 3

Hi Guys,

so if i want to be able to backup data from a backup exec server in an A domain domain to another server in a B domain, what is the minimal type of trust i should create? and in which directions if one way work?

I really appreciate your knowledge sharing!

Munir2Fast
Level 5
Certified

Hi

Establish a One Way Trust Relationship between the Host Domain (the domain in which the media server resides) and the Target Domains (the domains that are to be backed up).

Refer to the following link for more information which explains the same :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO11687

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22508

Munir2Fast
Level 5
Certified

Hi,

If any the above comments have helped you resolve the issue, then please mark it as a solution...Thanks

khalidtouati
Level 3

Hi,

@Munir2Fast: thank you for your helpful post, don't worry I'll make sure to vote for every helpful post and mark it as solution if that led me to final resolution (I did mark teiva-boy's post as helpful if you noticed).

Thanks one more time for all of you guys!!

khalidtouati
Level 3

Special thanks to Juhto, you're right it is working only when password match (and username) even id domains are diffrent.

so I created the trust relationship, made the password matching, and used the BEutility to add this managed media server, now i can see it if i lauch the BEutility, hiowever i cannot see it in Symantec Backup Exec console so that i can submit job and so on, any thought guys about this little step left to reach my goal?

Thanks for your help all!