cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate BE 2010 from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 R2

MPieper
Level 4

Hi,

i found the following document, explaining how to migrate Backup Exec to a new Server with the same Windows version:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768

Now, i would like to know if it is possible to migrate Backup Exec 2010 from a machine running with Server 2003 x86 to a machine running with Server 2008 R2. It is quite important to keep the existing jobs, and even more important to keep the catalogs working. The new machine will have a different Computername

I assume that, in the same move, i can't also migrate from BE2010 to BE 2010 R2, correct? So if i want to upgrade to BE2010 R2 i would have to do this afterwards, in a separate step?

Greetings, and thank you for your help.

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Refer the following TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129826

After completing the migration you can uograde to BE 2010 R2. Or you can do like uograde first and then migrate.

Regards...

MPieper
Level 4

Thank you.

Are there any issues with a different computer name on the new machine?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

After completing the installation if you install agents onto all the remote servers then you can have different computer name . Otherwise you have to keep old name .

Anyway you are having the plan to upgrade BE to 2010 R2, so after completing upgradation you have to push the agents to all remote machines.

Regards....

Timo_Schoenfeld
Level 4

I suggest to use same computername, that is much mor easy. Did taht since BE 9.x on Windows 2000, running now BE 2008R2SP1 on Server 2008R2 SP1. Just take the old server offline, delete computeraccount and bring new server to domain and follow technote. If you have problems you will have a really fast way back....

Regrads Timo

Lively
Level 5

The old version of the agents will still work with the newer version of the software.  There will just be an alert for every Backup to Disk job stating you need to update the agent.  Makes it easier to slide the software onto a new server and upgrade the agents later.

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

What i would do is the following...

On the existing backupserver perform an upgrade to BUE2010R2. Before you start with this update, perform the following tasks:

• BEUTIL --> dump database
  • Backup the catalogs folder en the BEDB.bak file in the data folder. If anything goes wrong, you should be able to restore the existing configuration.
  • Install BUE2010R2 on the machine and place the catalogs folder back to their location. (follow the guide I added!).

I also have a decent guide to move the installation to another server with different name: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768. You should be able to do this with this guide (I did it already more then ten times without any issues).

What could be interesting is to export all servers and licenses in xml format. These files can be imported in the new installation. (TOOLS > Install licenses .... / agents .....).

After performing the upgrade, perform a live update several times. When there are no more updates, update also all clients!

Good luck!