cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate backup exec history to new server

Richard_2222
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I'm currently setting up Backup Exec 2010 R3 on a Windows 2008 server, and I'm wondering how to migrate all of Backup Exec's history from the old server.

The old server has Backup Exec 2010 and its Windows 2003.

I'll be creating jobs from scratch to re-organize them, but I'd still like to retain job history and anything else that is suggested.

I'm not really clear on the details and differences between catalog and dabase data, and if history is kept within those or is located somewhere else.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance!

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can see this document for the migration process.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768

This document is for migrating the entire BEDB which means that all your old jobs would also be migrated.  there is no document for migrating old backup sets.

B2D folders are Backup-to-Disk folders which are used when you backup to disk.

If you are using tapes, make sure that you do not have the same tape label for tapes used in your old and new systems.  If there is no duplicate tape labels, then you can just inventory and catalog the tapes from your old system and you can do your restores.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you talk about job history, I assume that you mean things like whether a job is successful or not and job logs. These cannot be migrated to a new server without the corresponding jobs. Of you want these then you have to move the entire BEDB to the new media server. This means your old jobs goes over as well

Richard_2222
Level 3

Are there any workarounds to that?  I guess I can do that and just edit the jobs.  My main concern is having to do a restore on the new server to backups that were done on the old server.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  There is no way around this because the joblogs needs to go with a job.

However, if you just want to be able to restore from your old backups. Do these BEFORE you start doing backups on your new media server.

1) create a new B2D folder in the media server

2) copy the contents of the old B2D folder, excluding the .cfg files, to the new B2D folder

3) inventory and catalog the new B2D folder

For tape backup sets, all you need to do is to scan/inventory the tapes and then catalog them.

After this, you would be able to restore from your old backup sets.

Richard_2222
Level 3

Is there a site with detailed instructions?  Does B2D mean Backup-to-Disk?  I'm currently using tapes so does that matter?  And I've already tried some test backups on the new server, can I still copy the B2D contents over?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can see this document for the migration process.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768

This document is for migrating the entire BEDB which means that all your old jobs would also be migrated.  there is no document for migrating old backup sets.

B2D folders are Backup-to-Disk folders which are used when you backup to disk.

If you are using tapes, make sure that you do not have the same tape label for tapes used in your old and new systems.  If there is no duplicate tape labels, then you can just inventory and catalog the tapes from your old system and you can do your restores.