Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to monitor my backup media sets stored on Tapes

b1gg1e
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi dear all.

I need to know when someone start to delete backup sets from my backup system (Symantec Backup Exec 2012 SP3).

With disk storage it is simple - by enabling audit on my backup folder (BEData) with NTFS file system or with some scripts that count number of files in this catalog.

But how can I perfrom this for my TAPE LIBRARY? Can I set some events to my windows event logs (I can monitor them)?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The tape library is always locked by BE and no other application can use it. Just make sure BE locks the tape library to prevent it from being opened physically and you can be assured that only BE can overwrite your tapes

b1gg1e
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for reply. I know that :)

I want to monitor if someone hack a password for OS administrator account with my Backup Exec installed and start to delete backup sets from Backup Exec Administration Console..

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If this happens, the hacker can do more damage than just deleting tape backup sets because usually the BESA is the domain admin. You would have more things to worry about than your tape backup sets

b1gg1e
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I don't have any domains :)

My server is in workgroup. And my agents is Linux and VMware hosts..

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no way to monitor the activity of the person with access to the BE console Regardless of whether the media server is in a domain or a workgroup, if you cannot prevent other users from accessing it then you have bigger problems to contend with